TOPIC: AAX no Midi

AAX no Midi 8 months 1 week ago #14727

I'd like to control the Scuffham with a Midi pedalboard but can't find any midi implementation inside the aax.

Loading the VST via Bluecat Audio reveals the Midi, but even when fully mapped by the Bluecat it does not react to program changes.

And last not least the automation list inside Pro Tools does contain program selection.
Midi is setup and the pedalboard is working with the standalone Scuffham.
But not inside PT 10 on OSX 10.8.4 - and I bet this won't be different on any other PT or OS version.

How am I supposed to program change inside PT without manually clicking the tiny up/down arrows of SH?
  • db
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

AAX no Midi 8 months 1 week ago #14730

Hi db,

When you have a plug-in hosted in a DAW, in most cases it is better to remotely control that plug-in via DAW automation. In which case you would send MIDI messages to your DAW, which are translated to automation messages to the plug-in.

Generally speaking, MIDI to audio plug-ins hosted via the DAW is restricted to what protocols are supported by the DAW, and often this means no MIDI at all, or just control change messages. Also, the particular plug-in format may or may not support MIDI. The S-GEAR VST2.4 plug-in on windows offers full MIDI support as does the AudioUnit plug-in on OSX. Other formats do not support MIDI to the plug-in.

Mike
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

AAX no Midi 8 months 1 week ago #14738

yeah, but why then does GTR and Ampitube support direct Midi learn but not the Scuffham?
  • db
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

AAX no Midi 8 months 1 week ago #14739

db wrote:
yeah, but why then does GTR and Ampitube support direct Midi learn but not the Scuffham?
Hi db,

Yes, it is possible for AAX effects plug-ins to receive a MIDI stream however we haven't implemented MIDI support in the S-GEAR AAX. I will take a look and see if this is something that can be added in future.

Mike
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: db

AAX no Midi 8 months 1 week ago #14740

much appreciated, would be a great feature!
  • db
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

AAX no Midi 3 months 1 week ago #15713

This was a surprising discovery for me as well, that S-Gear does not support MIDI Learn or provide the MIDI Configuration button for Pro Tools 12 AAX (I am running Windows 10). I have no idea how to use midi controllers to bypass the effects Things; the only way I can see is sending the automation assignments to PT, and then using the mouse to change the automation lane, but I don't know how this would be done when performing live using a controller. I know the AAX format is a pain to customize plugins for small developers, but this feature would be a tremendous improvement in vital functionality for Pro Tools users.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds