TOPIC: MOTU 624

MOTU 624 7 months 4 weeks ago #17545

Hello...

Anyone have experience with one of these?

motu.com/products/avb/624

Thinking about a new audio device. Online selling site reviews are tough to trust (as this device is a bit pricey).

Cheers,

Dave
Dave

"There's nothing wrong with you that a good shuffle boogie won't cure"
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MOTU 624 7 months 4 weeks ago #17546

The performance justfies the price if you own a pro studio, maybe using ADATs.

To simply use S-Gear, a "lowly" Behringer UMC202HD provide low enough latency times for less than seventy bucks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DC42
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MOTU 624 7 months 4 weeks ago #17547

In your opinion...what is the most important piece of the chain to get the best audio possible (listening via good quality head phones) while jamming into a vintage amp within an amp sim?

Hope the question made sense. To me most folks uses sims as recording is important to them. I just want to plug into a classic amp and let it rip.

Would a DI box alter the signal at all in regards to tone? Guitar > DI Box > Focusrite > PC > amp sim then reverse. Running the sims stand alone. Have them loaded in Reaper but total newb with that type of software other than finding some basic plug ins and spinning dials.

Dave
Dave

Last edit: 7 months 4 weeks ago by DC42.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MOTU 624 7 months 3 weeks ago #17548

I've recently bought an UMC202HD, so as a veteran of well over thousand live performances using S-Gear in standalone mode, I can only tell you that it works as advertised, keeping a roundabout latency under 7 ms, which is more than acceptable to me and the rest of the band.

I own a Lehle Sunday Driver, which is an outstanding DI box, although is not necessary with the UMC, as the instrument load is 1 Mohm.

Others are know to use it as a buffer, I personally don't find this necessary if you go direct from the guitar to the UMC.

The biggest variable is the speaker you put the guitar through. Here I too use a couple of "lowly" Behringer B210A FRFRs with excellent results.
Last edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by LtKojak.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MOTU 624 7 months 3 weeks ago #17550

Thank you LT!

Let us say I plugged my guitar into the Sunday Driver. Would I run a standard guitar cable out into the Focusrite as an instrument or a TRS - XLRM Cable into the box as a line?

Good American made guitars with legit pick ups. They are more on the vintage side but perfect for Scuffham. Just want to give the software the best tone to process.

Hopefully my logic makes sense. Apologies for the newbie-isms.
Dave

Last edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by DC42.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MOTU 624 7 months 3 weeks ago #17552

DC42 wrote:

Thank you LT!

Let us say I plugged my guitar into the Sunday Driver. Would I run a standard guitar cable out into the Focusrite as an instrument or a TRS - XLRM Cable into the box as a line?
Using the Lehle, it doesn't make any difference, as the device adjusts the correct output for either the XLR and the TRS inputs.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MOTU 624 7 months 3 weeks ago #17554

Ordered the Sunday Driver. When plugging into the Focusrite using a guitar cable I would choose the interface setting of line (modifying the current setting of instrument)?

Thank you for all the help Lt.

Dave
Dave

Last edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by DC42.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MOTU 624 7 months 3 weeks ago #17556

DC42 wrote:

Ordered the Sunday Driver. When plugging into the Focusrite using a guitar cable I would choose the interface setting of line (modifying the current setting of instrument)?

Thank you for all the help Lt.

Dave
Well, try both and hear what suits best your instrument. Only YOU can know what GOOD sounds like. ;)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MOTU 624 7 months 3 weeks ago #17557

Yes was going to try both. The way things are going just wanted to make sure moving the slider would not fry the device. :S :S :S
Dave

SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MOTU 624 7 months 3 weeks ago #17565

Thanks again Lt. K. Put the Sunday Driver in front of the audio device running the signal as a line. A definite difference (in a very good way). Liking the way it sounds as I proceed through my sims.

Dave
Dave

SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MOTU 624 3 months 5 days ago #18270

RME Babyface pro is amazing sounding and has Rock solid latency. I have run tests on several units from a lot of different companies. Motu had about 2x the amount of latency as RME. RME Crushes everything. The sound card is one of the most important aspects of your chain. And RME is a company with an excellent reputation. Nobody can touch em.

Here you can read my thread and view the results

www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1212460-motu-424-a.html
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds