TOPIC: Lehle Sunday Driver - A/B tests please?

Lehle Sunday Driver - A/B tests please? 1 month 3 weeks ago #19699

Hello everyone!

I've been researching di boxes lately, thinking it could make my Fireface UC more open souding - at the moment I feel its a bit bass heavy thus sounding a tad flabby/muddy with amp sims. Could be a little brighter around 1-4kHz to my taste. Axe FX for example sounds a lot better in this department, probably has to do with algorithms aswell, but I feel it could be linked to the input partially.

Noticed that Lehle Sunday Driver gets a lot of praise here when this problem is brought up.

Today I was shooting out Sansamp GT-2 (active bypass - 1mOhm) going into both line/hi-z inputs of RME, and going straight into the hi-z input (470kOhm), couldnt find a tangible difference just some overvoltage artifacts with gt-2.

So, in 7 year this Sunday Driver getting suggested here, have ANY of you ever done an A/B test between Lehle and straight in? I'd be super grateful if someone could help providing the examples, ideally if the interface is RME Fireface UC/UCX/FF400/FF800/Babyface as they are all 470k

I'd like to order Lehle SD, but I'm worried there could be no difference aswell like with GT-2.
I live in Russia so there would be no way to return the pedal back to thomann.

Thanks!

PS some videos that got me thinking about it, the difference is really obvious for me in these
some other contenders I could get are BSS AR133 and Countryman Type 85, but I don't like that they are phantom powered.

The following user(s) said Thank You: theminion
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by massan.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lehle Sunday Driver - A/B tests please? 1 month 3 weeks ago #19709

SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lehle Sunday Driver - A/B tests please? 1 month 2 weeks ago #19712

I listened to these tests and heard some differences but nothing that I feel I couldn't adjust at the amp or guitar, Don't think I would invest any significant amount of money into anything like that. I also don't use long cable runs because I play in a home studio environment so I don't have a need. Opinions vary of course! :)
Various Gibson, Fender, Epiphone and Cort guitars
Scuffham S-Gear
PreSonus Studio One Professional 4.1.1

Check out my website http://www.daniel-lesaux.com
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lehle Sunday Driver - A/B tests please? 1 month 2 weeks ago #19713

I think the only way to be sure is to try one. This pedal has many uses and definitively improve your set-up. It does not color the sound and do what it is supposed to do more than very well. Especially in my home studio environment.

Sometimes the best changes are not the ones that are drastics..... Then it is a metter of personnal taste and needs.
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lehle Sunday Driver - A/B tests please? 1 month 2 weeks ago #19714

dlsmusic wrote:

I listened to these tests and heard some differences but nothing that I feel I couldn't adjust at the amp or guitar

The benefits of a buffer cannot be reclaimed at the amp because that tone is lost before it gets there, but if your cable run is short (under 15 feet) and your interface is adequate then you're probably not a candidate for a buffer. I wouldn't bother with it.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lehle Sunday Driver - A/B tests please? 1 month 2 weeks ago #19715

I use it as a boost and mostly in SUNDAY MODE .

The second setting "S" - as in Sunday - multiplies input impedance by four, bringing out previously inaudible details and, as gain increases, imparting to the guitar sound a characteristic and unmistakable warmth that has given this preamp its name - the result is a sound as mellow as a sunny Sunday afternoon! Even at a 15dB gain setting, the Lehle Sunday Driver always stays clean and absolutely free of background noise, thanks to its studio-standard signal-to-noise ratio of over -100 dB
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by fatherjacques.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lehle Sunday Driver - A/B tests please? 1 month 2 weeks ago #19716

The "S" is where the money is, since the "D" is basically just a buffer and straight buffers can be had much cheaper (e.g. the T1M is only $40).
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lehle Sunday Driver - A/B tests please? 1 month 2 weeks ago #19717

Surely I do not need a buffer with the short cables I have in my Home Studio. LOL

Anyway I got used for $100Cnd . For me it is OK since I use the S mode and the Boost when I need it. It is on my desk and easy to reach.
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lehle Sunday Driver - A/B tests please? 1 month 2 weeks ago #19718

It's a great boost, too, and the price was right!

There was a time when I'd use the SD for bass, and that signal chain was no longer than 6 feet in total -- no pedals. The SD (just in Driver mode) brought some clarity that I couldn't get without it. I have since switched preamps (I run guitars/bass into an API preamp, then into the interface) and the new one doesn't seem to need any help.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lehle Sunday Driver - A/B tests please? 1 month 2 weeks ago #19719

You are right. It is a great boost. In a way it is a very versatile pedal. It fills my needs pefectly and like you saying give some clarity to the signal. I prefer to have too much details let's in the high frequencies and back off my tone pot than having to increase the tone pot to get high frequency.

For sure I see a difference in S Gear. May be it is because I am old and the signal being better I can hear it LOL!
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lehle Sunday Driver - A/B tests please? 1 month 4 days ago #19766

is there any chance one of you guys could do a quick demo with/without?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lehle Sunday Driver - A/B tests please? 1 month 4 days ago #19767

not really, since they are going through lots of pedals into the amp, which is a whole different situation
I'm trying to find out if I need some sort of DI box since my inputs on RME are 470kOhm, which is 2x lower than recommended.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lehle Sunday Driver - A/B tests please? 1 month 2 days ago #19774

massan wrote:

my inputs on RME are 470kOhm, which is 2x lower than recommended.
Massan... for the record, Mike Scuffham himself, who's a RME audio card user, as you can imagine, he does use a Lehle Sunday Driver to connect his PRS to the audio card. You can see him using it in the few videos on the web of him attending guitar gear related shows in Germany and Sweden. Still in doubt? Really???
Last edit: 1 month 2 days ago by LtKojak.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lehle Sunday Driver - A/B tests please? 1 month 1 day ago #19783

massan wrote:

not really, since they are going through lots of pedals into the amp, which is a whole different situation
I'm trying to find out if I need some sort of DI box since my inputs on RME are 470kOhm, which is 2x lower than recommended.

You might consider a forum more specific to RME and/or Lehle products as it doesn't appear that anyone here can provide you with your exact scenario.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lehle Sunday Driver - A/B tests please? 1 month 1 day ago #19784

Massan,
I have owned numerous DI's over the years and I ended up with a pair of Radial PRO48's going into a Behringer UMC-404HD, Now, I am using a reworked Epiphone ES-339 with a pair of Fury humbuckers. All of the pots have been disabled - so the pickups are wired straight to the toggle switch then to the output jack. As a result, all of the dynamics are controlled through my striking hand.

Prior to that setup I was using an RME HDSP9652 audio card and a Behringer ADA-8200 using the same PRO48's. In contact with RME about 2 years ago, they recommend that I continue to use the Radial ID's as they consider them one of best.

I did own a Sunday Driver for a time, but found that it worked and sounded very similar to an ART TubeMP. To me, both the SD and the ART coloured the sound. I believe that I am hearing a much more natural sound from the PRO48's.

Once you have a working "gain structure" - if indeed we can refer to all this "stuff" as such, you need to get the sound out to a set of speakers. At present I am using a Bose L1 System 2, and I must admit, I am very, very impressed with the results. I also perform using steel- strung and a nylon strung guitars - so I require a setup that is very versatile.

At this point it now all up to the performer to make all of this gear work. This latter point I sincerely believe to be the most significant point of all - can you play well enough to justify all of the time and energy spent in obtaining just the right gear.

My suggestion, Massan, is to obtain a Radial DI for your given instrument - rent one if possible, and then use the DI for a month or so. I sincerely believe that you will be very satisfied with this DI.

I hope that you find this information of some practicable use to you?
Attachments:
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 1 month 1 day ago by mr-es335.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds