• Page:

TOPIC: Additional effects with S-Gear

Additional effects with S-Gear 2 years 1 week ago #14038

What do you use as additional effects with S-Gear? Here is my set-up. GTR 3,5 by Waves plug-in or/and Brainworks plug-ins by Plug-in alliance.
Capturedcran2016-07-0313.43.04.png
Last Edit: 2 years 1 week ago by fatherjacques.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Additional effects with S-Gear 2 years 1 week ago #14039

I've used BiasFX and Garageband's pedal board along with other various free plugins I find.
  • ryentzer
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Additional effects with S-Gear 2 years 1 week ago #14041

I sometimes use either Helix or BIAS FX for front of the amp effects into S-Gear. S-Gear amps, speaker models, and after the amp effects handle the rest.

Front of the amp effects generally include:

Static Tone Shaping: Tone shaping comes first, including guitar tone and volume and pickup selection, followed by compression to control pick attack and sustain.

Dynamic Tone Shaping: Next comes variable tone shaping devices like phase shifter, Wah Wah or Univibe, possibly Flanger too. These are modulation devices, but modulate phase or tone more than frequency, and therefore can go in front of distortion.

Distortion and Overdrive: Overdrive, possibly gain staged for different boost/distortion and voicing levels. One should be for controlling metal lead distortion, and another for creating the overall amp sound. The second should clean up well when turning down the guitar volume. This section can also be handled completely by the amp if it has sufficient gain staging options like S-Gear. Using overdrive pedals however can give more control over the amount of distortion and overdrive, as well as the tone shaping. Use a gain boost before distortion to control the distortion tone. Use a gain boost after distortion into a clean amp to do a simple volume boost for clean or distorted tones.

Pick the ones you like and that fit with your style and the song. Good ones will work well with S-Gear. Practice good gain staging though.
  • jamsden
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Additional effects with S-Gear 2 years 1 week ago #14042

How can I buy the wah pedal?
  • rose703
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Additional effects with S-Gear 2 years 1 week ago #14043

I think I paid $39 for GTR3 wich includes the effects. They always send you big promotions.

www.waves.com/bundles/gtr3

Same thing with Plug-in alliance. You just wait they send you a 70% off promotion...

www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products.html
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Additional effects with S-Gear 2 years 1 week ago #14045

I tried getting a midi wah working in logic, way too much delay between moving the expression pedal and the effect. I will give this a try when I get home. Thanks for the URL, I see the chandler amp is 1/3 the usual price and it doesn't require a UAD.
  • rose703
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Additional effects with S-Gear 2 years 1 week ago #14047

Brainworks stompboxes mostly, plus FabFilter Pro-C (one of the most versatile compressors IMO).

For some setups where I need to separate effects from amp setups, I also use Valhalla VintageVerb and Valhalla FreqEcho (Delay).

All of this packaged in Cantabile (www.cantabilesoftware.com) - my absolute favorite VST host for live use!

Cheers,

Torsten
  • ToH2002
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Additional effects with S-Gear 2 years 1 week ago #14055

The waves wah wah pedal works great, thanks dude. I'm going to buy the fcb1010 and try to get a live rig setup. I need a good frfr monitor, functional laptop and the 1010. I have a couple older laptops that need some care and replacement hardware but would be capable of running a amp sim.
  • rose703
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Additional effects with S-Gear 2 years 1 week ago #14056

rose703 wrote:
I'm going to buy the fcb1010 and try to get a live rig setup. I need a good frfr monitor, functional laptop and the 1010. I have a couple older laptops that need some care and replacement hardware but would be capable of running a amp sim.
I've used for over 500 gigs an old XP laptop with an Intel Dual-Core 2.16Mhz, 4GB RAM and a 256GB SSD running S-Gear with not even a glitch and less than 8ms total latency with a "lowly" M-Audio M-Track souncard.

It's the SSD what makes all the difference. That, and tweaking the OS for DAW use.

HTH,
  • LtKojak
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Additional effects with S-Gear 2 years 1 week ago #14057

I just use my pedalboard into an Audient ID14 into a Mac where I normally run S-Gear stand alone with some Ownhammer and 3 Sigma impulses. Simple and easy. At some point I'll likely dump the board and go all modeingl for everything but I am happy with my sound so haven't been in any big hurry.
  • richpjr
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Additional effects with S-Gear 2 years 1 week ago #14060

For folks who stay "in the box" (not using external pedals or pedalboards), how does one manage playing live with multiple sources?. Say you're using one amp from S-Gear with a TS808 plugin on one song and then on the next song, you want to use the Marshall Silver Jubilee amp from Amplitube and then for the solo, jump to a Vox AC30 in Bias - is this even possible?

Is this what a program like Cantabile helps with? If so, how does that work? I realize MIDI is probably involved and I have a POD HD500 pedalboard, but how exactly does one program the pedalboard to use different digital amp sources? Has anyone written a tutorial on the subject or created a YouTube video?

Thanks!
  • jawgee
  • Tone Star
Keep on chooglin'!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Additional effects with S-Gear 2 years 6 days ago #14082

That is exactly what Cantabile does. Cantabile is a very flexible program, but with flexibility comes complexity. However, once you've learned a few basic concepts, it's easy.

You can save a configuration for a complete song, then save the songs to set lists.You can have one plugin, switching presets using PC#s, or several instances various plugins, switching presets within whatever plugin is active and changing active plugs with MIDI, or, with plugs like BIAS FX, which doesn't yet support Program Changes, you could either use Cantabile's native indexing to create faux program changes or, use several instances of BIAS.

I use an FCB1010, sometimes an HD500X, and sometimes an FBV Shortboard. The advantage of the Line6 units over the FCB is that they have expression pedals with toe controls to turn WAH or Volume or Pitch Shifters etc ON/OFF. The FCB does not have this feature.

This thread is not the place for a detailed discussion of the exact process, but if you send me a private message after you get Cantabile (SOLO version or better) I'll be happy to help you set up your HD500. Nice that you have one of those, as you'll be able to use the distortions and whatnot in front of S-Gear and whatever other sims you have. I have, in addition to S-Gear (the best), Amplitube, BIAS FX, Guitar Rig, and TH3.
  • rd2rk
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: jawgee

Additional effects with S-Gear 2 years 5 days ago #14100

Thank you for the offer, rd2rk! As far as live guitar playing goes, what benefits are there to having the Performer version over the Solo version? Is it worth the extra bucks? After I figure out which version of Cantabile I need, I'll send you a PM.
  • jawgee
  • Tone Star
Keep on chooglin'!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Additional effects with S-Gear 2 years 5 days ago #14108

Allow me to pitch in - I've been using Cantabile live for some time now, both for keyboards and guitar purposes, allowing me to drastically reduce my live setup.

If you're serious about using Cantabile live, you should consider getting Performer. The primary reason for this is that it allows you to have so-called "song states" within your songs, i.e. a completely different settings for verse, chorus, solo, etc, and simply step through them with a controller.

Next most important feature for me are "shared racks" - essentially, you package some of your plugins into "racks", together with their settings (presets) and re-use them across songs. Combine this with "setlist pre-loading" (which loads all racks used in a setlist into memory), you get quasi-instant song switching.

In addition, you get some nice features like "show notes" (specific text or pictures to display with a song or song part), a special "live view", customized to only display information you need when playing live and not editing, and some other nice stuff like triggers (automatically perform some actions on special events like song loading or state switching).

All in all, Performer is the version you'll want if you want to wildly mix and match plug-ins within a song like you described.

Cheers,

Torsten
  • ToH2002
  • Tone Star
Last Edit: 2 years 5 days ago by ToH2002.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Additional effects with S-Gear 2 years 1 day ago #14136

As ToH2002 indicates, it all depends how deep you want to get with your performance applications. My needs are relatively simple - all my sims in one place and accessible from my pedalboard and controllers (Korg nanoKontrols), plus EZDrummer and keyboard plugs. For home studio/jamming with friends, got all I'll ever need in the Solo version. Live performance I'm old school - guitar>fx>amp. No surprises and, well, it's only Rock'n'Roll!

Cantabile offers a very reasonable upgrade path, so unless you know that you'll want the power of Performer, no reason not to start out with Solo, learn the ropes, upgrade as necessary.
  • rd2rk
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Additional effects with S-Gear 1 year 11 months ago #14158

How did you setup Logic and the GTR3 wah pedal? I got the wah to work easily outside Logic with the right click learn option of the pedal after setting it to manual. That did not work in Logic or MainStage. I made a call to the Waves tech support, the person said I should change the CC message until one works. That was a bad idea.
  • rose703
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Additional effects with S-Gear 1 year 11 months ago #14160

SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Additional effects with S-Gear 1 year 11 months ago #14161

rose703 wrote:
How did you setup Logic and the GTR3 wah pedal? I got the wah to work easily outside Logic with the right click learn option of the pedal after setting it to manual. That did not work in Logic or MainStage. I made a call to the Waves tech support, the person said I should change the CC message until one works. That was a bad idea.

You have to use SMART CONTROLS:

SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Additional effects with S-Gear 1 year 11 months ago #14162

Thanks for the links, I worked out getting it basically setup. When I set parameter mapping to Slot 1 control 5 the wah came to life. I need to tweak the scaling, right now the pedal reacts to the movement of the expression taking the physical changes to top and bottom of what would be a real wah effect. There is nothing in between, no range of movement is being put into the sound. Once I get that figured out I think I'll be very happy with a midi wah sound.
  • rose703
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Additional effects with S-Gear 1 year 11 months ago #14173

Logic Pro X (and MainStage) are a nice way to connect MIDI to display controls and then to parameters in plugins. This is especially useful with Logic Remote on an iPad which gives you multi-touch access to S-Gear parameters. But Logic's smart controls are limited to the controls provided by the templates, and I don't know of a way to extend the templates. MainStage is what you'd use for that.

However, there's an easier way if you don't need the UI controls, and can be used to map as many things as you want. You can use Control Surfaces > Controller Assignments... to map any track or plugin parameter to any MIDI control. And Controller Assignments allows you to organize the mappings zones and modes, label the mappings, be specific about what MIDI devices are used, edit the MIDI messages, filter and scale the messages, and set different modes (direct, toggle, scaled, relative, rotate or XOR).

I have used this to map a couple of FCB1010s to different tracks in Logic Pro X used as inserts in our X32 Core PA for two guitars and bass amps for use during rehearsals. It works very well, but did take some time to program. Some things to watch out for:
  • Use the same USB ports for your USB devices every time you use them. The Controller assignments can sometimes get confused if you put some USB devices on different ports
  • Plugin all you USB devices before starting Logic or any other program that uses them. This prevents the program from automatically selecting some other device and no longer working properly
  • Shutdown Logic and other programs that use USB devices before unplugging the devices.
  • Use caution with putting your computer to sleep, some USB devices don't recover from sleep well - Apogee GiO in particular causes the MIDI Server to hang. Test this before relying on it in a show
  • jamsden
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: fatherjacques
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds