TOPIC: Audient ID14 + S Gear

Audient ID14 + S Gear 1 year 4 months ago #15373

Hey everyone! I hope you are ok!
This is my first topic aroud here, and I dont know if this is the right place :??:
But ok... I am steuggling to find an answer but I don't seem to have any clue...
I owned a Line 6 pod Studio Ux2, and could beautifully track guitars, with no noticeable latency (at least to my ears!).
I sold it and am temporary using a Behringer mix to track guitars, before my Audient Id14 arrives (only june :/).
The problem is that I've read some places that this interface uses to have latency with amp sims... And I am just trying to know if this is totally true, and if it will be worst than the line 6?
The Audient support is wonderful! But, they were not clear if it would be bas tracking guitars using it...
I've read some topics here and some of you have the exact same interface...
My PC Configs:
8gb Ram
Intel Dual core
4gb Graphic card...

Can you please help me not to have a heartache? hahaha
Thanks in advance!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audient ID14 + S Gear 1 year 4 months ago #15375

I use an iD14 with S-Gear. I don't find latency an issue. The drivers are not as optimised as say RMEs but for the cost of the interface it sounds pretty damned fine. I replaced a Focusrite 2i2 and the quality difference is clear. The DI input is v good. Well of course this is only my opinion :)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audient ID14 + S Gear 1 year 4 months ago #15376

I used to own one, never noticed any latency issues running S-Gear, EZDrummer loops, MainStage, or Logic. I damaged mine with a defective attenuator that has nothing to do with S-Gear. S-Gear doesn't really put that much of a load on my system resources. I have a quad core i7 mac mini late 2012. I upgraded the ram, that wasn't necessary. I upgraded the hard drive to a SSD. That gave me a way faster boot time. I think you will be fine with the id14.
  • rose703
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audient ID14 + S Gear 1 year 4 months ago #15377

operandx wrote:
I use an iD14 with S-Gear. I don't find latency an issue. The drivers are not as optimised as say RMEs but for the cost of the interface it sounds pretty damned fine. I replaced a Focusrite 2i2 and the quality difference is clear. The DI input is v good. Well of course this is only my opinion :)

Hmm!
Well, it makes me a bit more relaxed! Whats your PC config if you dont mind?
And abt the improvement over the 2i2, thats great! Because they say the 2i2 is better than the Ux2 :D
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audient ID14 + S Gear 1 year 4 months ago #15378

rose703 wrote:
I used to own one, never noticed any latency issues running S-Gear, EZDrummer loops, MainStage, or Logic. I damaged mine with a defective attenuator that has nothing to do with S-Gear. S-Gear doesn't really put that much of a load on my system resources. I have a quad core i7 mac mini late 2012. I upgraded the ram, that wasn't necessary. I upgraded the hard drive to a SSD. That gave me a way faster boot time. I think you will be fine with the id14.

Well, your PC is a ~~~bit~~~ more powerful than mine, but it seems worth!
I will have to relax until it arrives!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audient ID14 + S Gear 1 year 4 months ago #15379

operandx wrote:

Hmm!
Well, it makes me a bit more relaxed! Whats your PC config if you dont mind?
And abt the improvement over the 2i2, thats great! Because they say the 2i2 is better than the Ux2 :D

I have an i5-2320 with 8GB RAM.
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by operandx.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audient ID14 + S Gear 1 year 4 months ago #15380

I was looking for low latency and after trying a Tascam 7000 (bad latency) I bought an RME Babyface and found it's super low latency and high sound quality to be excellent. I immediately upgraded to the newer Babyface Pro and it had even llower latency and better everything else.

Here is a link to a Gearslutz thread where a guy has been testing all different interfaces with the same computer system for a number of years. Most of the low latency claims have been shown to be false. RME is the real deal though. Proven super low latency. I was looking at the iD14 and 22 but after seeing their true numbers I decided to get the best I could for the money. Here's the thread:
www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/...mance-data-base.html

Apparently anything over 10 ms round trip latency is a problem for everyone. Some have performance issues with OVER 5 ms RTL. When you use an amp sim and then some other plugins the RTL starts increasing. The Babyface Pro handles this stuff really well, with 0 to 1.3 showing in Studio One.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audient ID14 + S Gear 1 year 4 months ago #15381

I used to think of guitar playing as if your hands can't play the notes then it doesn't matter. I started out learning the modes and common chords on crappy gear. I took long breaks from guitar during my life, I started when I was about 15 and I'm 43. For several years I primarily played a nylon string guitar. During that time learned to read music. Coming back to electric a couple years ago and getting my hands on something like S-Gear taught me tone is inspiring. You are just not going to feel the notes as much as you are playing them on good sounding amp and effects gear. Enhancing S-Gear with a overdrive pedal be it real or a plug-in gives you access to nearly god like tones. You will have trouble putting your guitar down.
  • rose703
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audient ID14 + S Gear 1 year 4 months ago #15382

player99 wrote:
I was looking for low latency and after trying a Tascam 7000 (bad latency) I bought an RME Babyface and found it's super low latency and high sound quality to be excellent. I immediately upgraded to the newer Babyface Pro and it had even llower latency and better everything else.

Here is a link to a Gearslutz thread where a guy has been testing all different interfaces with the same computer system for a number of years. Most of the low latency claims have been shown to be false. RME is the real deal though. Proven super low latency. I was looking at the iD14 and 22 but after seeing their true numbers I decided to get the best I could for the money. Here's the thread:
www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/...mance-data-base.html

Apparently anything over 10 ms round trip latency is a problem for everyone. Some have performance issues with OVER 5 ms RTL. When you use an amp sim and then some other plugins the RTL starts increasing. The Babyface Pro handles this stuff really well, with 0 to 1.3 showing in Studio One.

Yes, even that I did not use it, I have to agree.
I've ready simply everywhere that RME's have a good-everything...
My problem is that I am from Brazil, so the dolar is 3.15 x our coin right now... It makes a bit hard to buy THAT expensive gear...
It would be about the price of a used popular car! hahaha
I will try audient and hope it to be as low latency as possible, because I know that its good sounding...
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Erikson_S.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audient ID14 + S Gear 1 year 4 months ago #15383

rose703 wrote:
I used to think of guitar playing as if your hands can't play the notes then it doesn't matter. I started out learning the modes and common chords on crappy gear. I took long breaks from guitar during my life, I started when I was about 15 and I'm 43. For several years I primarily played a nylon string guitar. During that time learned to read music. Coming back to electric a couple years ago and getting my hands on something like S-Gear taught me tone is inspiring. You are just not going to feel the notes as much as you are playing them on good sounding amp and effects gear. Enhancing S-Gear with a overdrive pedal be it real or a plug-in gives you access to nearly god like tones. You will have trouble putting your guitar down.

I already have problem putting it down, Since I met S Gear! haha
I was always aching for "the perfect tone", and then the search was over once I tried it!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audient ID14 + S Gear 1 year 4 months ago #15384

Try to get the original Babyface with the breakout cable. A used one should be less than the iD14. Great unit.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audient ID14 + S Gear 1 year 4 months ago #15385

player99 wrote:
Try to get the original Babyface with the breakout cable. A used one should be less than the iD14. Great unit.

No, it isn't!!!
The Id14 was 246 dollars for me...
The less expensive babyface that I found was 450...
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audient ID14 + S Gear 1 year 4 months ago #15386

I replaced my id14 with a used / demo Apogee Duet. The preamp on this device is really nice. I see original duets going for $150 used.

reverb.com/p/apogee-duet?gclid=Cj0KEQiAx...n8P8HAQ&hfid=4306746
  • rose703
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audient ID14 + S Gear 1 year 4 months ago #15387

Just be sure to check the Gearslutz thread for rtl latency on whatever unit you are looking at. As an example the thread looks at the new Thunderbolt units that are claiming really low rtl and the tests are showing TB and TB3 to be quite slow...
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audient ID14 + S Gear 1 year 4 months ago #15388

rose703 wrote:
I replaced my id14 with a used / demo Apogee Duet. The preamp on this device is really nice. I see original duets going for $150 used.

This was one of my options!
But I've read that the ID has better converters, So I gave it a shot!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audient ID14 + S Gear 1 year 4 months ago #15389

rose703 wrote:

I am not looking for a zero latency device or such thing...
I just wonder if ID14 Has an equivalent/lower latency than UX2... If yes, I guess I am set!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audient ID14 + S Gear 1 year 4 months ago #15390

What is your sample rate set at?
  • rose703
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audient ID14 + S Gear 1 year 4 months ago #15394

rose703 wrote:
What is your sample rate set at?

Now, I am at 512, but I am using the beringher mixer that I told, because the ID14 is not with me yet (My aunt will come from the USA and bring to me).
Wih this beringher mix, Reaper shows 12/12 ms of latency...
There is a VERY LITTLE noticeable latency. I still can track my guiatrs, but some stuff are harder...
When I used the UX2, all depended on the projec, but I could get good results in 64, but I cant remember the latency in ms...
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audient ID14 + S Gear 1 year 4 months ago #15396

12ms is not too bad, close though to noticeable. You sample rate should be in kHz, like 44 or 48 or 96. I don't find 96 to be better. 96 does consume a lot of CPU cycles so this is why I bring it up. If you are set at 96 I suggest you lower it to 44 or 48 and you will get less CPU use and a longer life on your computer. For me the sample rate is set on the audio interface, the MainStage project and the buffer size is also set in the project.
  • rose703
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audient ID14 + S Gear 1 year 4 months ago #15398

I'm sure you will like the Audient, just check the specs on the GSZ thread I posted above for the true latency figures. What Audient says is a lie... I was going to buy one but when I saw what the real specs are I went with RME.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds