TOPIC: Not sure which route to take.

Not sure which route to take. 2 weeks 1 day ago #17096

I've used S-Gear live a few times in our praise band and it's worked out great. My signal chain is Guitar -> PreSonus iOne -> S-Gear -> Soundboard.

I would like to take this step further and boost my signal when I need to stand out such as during intros or key parts.

My options are:
  • midi foot controller like the midi moose
  • AKAI Professional - LPD8
  • boost pedal

Notes: I only use S-Gear.
I only play at home and church.
I'd prefer to stay at/under $200.

Which route might you choose? Thanks in advance.
  • ryentzer
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Not sure which route to take. 2 weeks 23 hours ago #17097

Hello,

What is S-Gear residing in?
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Not sure which route to take. 2 weeks 22 hours ago #17098

I'm currently running s-gear in stand-alone mode. But, in the future, if needed, I could run it through MainStage or Studio One 3.
  • ryentzer
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Not sure which route to take. 2 weeks 18 hours ago #17103

I've been using S-Gear as my main rig since I bought it in May, 2011.

What I do is controlling patch changes with a FCB-1010, with the different patches having different levels of output. Low-tech, simple and effective. You can get a second-hand FCB-1010 for next-to-nothing. I have mine since February 2005 and made over two thousand performances with it, and still use it to this day, just I do not play so often as once did. I'm oooooold.... ;)
  • LtKojak
  • Tone King
Last Edit: 2 weeks 18 hours ago by LtKojak.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: ryentzer, swaite

Not sure which route to take. 2 weeks 13 hours ago #17107

I've thought about that in the past. It just concerns me that there has been no updates to it or the Apogee Gio for years. Not that that is a real concern. As you said, 2000+ performances qualifies it's longevity.

But, on the used market, they're still $110 or so. At least in my area.
  • ryentzer
  • Tone Master
Last Edit: 2 weeks 13 hours ago by ryentzer.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Not sure which route to take. 2 weeks 12 hours ago #17108

My only concern to using different presets to control volume is the lag between switching, as it is not as immediate as a boost pedal.

But if you are going to the soundboard, why not considering an ABY pedal, assuming there are more than one channel available for you? Your signal could go to 2 different channels in the soundboard, each with different output levels, and you are always going to select either one or the other. That would have an immediate change of volume (no lag or delay) and it would be pretty cheap also...
Last Edit: 2 weeks 12 hours ago by asintoras.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Not sure which route to take. 2 weeks 9 hours ago #17109

ryentzer,
I'm currently running s-gear in stand-alone mode. But, in the future, if needed, I could run it through MainStage or Studio One 3.
...that means then that you are running S-gear inside of a computer of some sort. This is what I trying to get at. I really prefer not to assume anything!

asintoras stated,
My only concern to using different presets to control volume is the lag between switching, as it is not as immediate as a boost pedal.
"...to which I disagree with.

I have used S-Gear in a live performance environment using no outside means of changing patches - that is, no pedals or MIDI control and such. I change presets via scene changes within the host that I am using - and the changes are immediate.

I have tested this process out many, many times and I have been able to get scenes down to one second using a variety of presets over a sixty second period - so that is a total of sixty presets!

Using scene changes provides me with the freedom of not having to worry about what "outside" things I am needing to do. Granted, this may be less improvisational in practice, but as I am a solo performer using backing tracks, I find that this methodology really does not limit me in any way whatsoever.

Hope you find this useful.
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
Last Edit: 2 weeks 9 hours ago by mr-es335.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Not sure which route to take. 2 weeks 9 hours ago #17110

Please excuse my ignorance, but can you explain what is a "scene"?? :??: I have heard about that in the Fractal world - which I am not involved-, but not in S-Gear.
Can you boost your volume level at the beginning of a solo without getting your hands out of the guitar? How?

Also, the OP mentioned that he is currently using S-Gear in standalone mode, so that means no host.

I think the idea of an ABY pedal is effective, very simple and cheap...
Last Edit: 2 weeks 8 hours ago by asintoras.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Not sure which route to take. 2 weeks 8 hours ago #17111

asintoras,

My apologies...missed that...so, he should use S-Gear as a plug-in then.

Digital hardware mixing consoles provide a "snapshot" functionality. Scenes and snapshots are synonymous terms in this regard. I call up a preset in S-Gear and then create a scene that will re-call that preset. I do this each and every preset that I need to re-call.

I hope that this all makes sense?

PS: Have a look at this posting: New SAC Rig
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
Last Edit: 2 weeks 8 hours ago by mr-es335.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Not sure which route to take. 2 weeks 6 hours ago #17112

For the ABY pedal, do you mean something like so?
www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ABY

The only thing is that limits me to two presets correct?
  • ryentzer
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Not sure which route to take. 2 weeks 1 hour ago #17114

For a typical solo boost, you can simply remote-control the "Output Level Trim" parameter of the S-Gear stand-alone via MIDI. Use the "MIDI" panel to map a continuous pedal (e.g. CC 11) to "Output Level Trim" with a minimum value of 0.50 (middle) and a max value of 0.80. Now, using a MIDI expression pedal, you can give your guitar sound a boost of up to 4 dB.

Now you need the right MIDI controller pedal. I would also recommend the Behringer FCB 1010 - the ultimate laptop guitarist's footboard ;-). It has two expression pedals; you could use one for volume boost, the other may come in nicely for wah-wah; but for that you'll need to chain a VST wah pedal in front of S-Gear via a VST host like Reaper, Studio One or - which I would prefer - a dedicated live host like Cantabile (easier to define song-specific effect chains and to quickly switch configurations). But for the moment, let's simply use one of the two pedals for expression (CC 11) and you'll be fine - leave the complicated stuff for later!

Since your audio interface doesn't have a MIDI port, you'll also need a separate USB MIDI interface to connect your FCB 1010 - a simple cheap one (~ $15) will do, since you only really need one input port.

Using MIDI automation for the S-Gear output level will give you practically instant response without any switching time. And over time, you'll probably create tons of presets in S-Gear - this automation boost will work with all of them - simply keep output trim at center when saving the presets to make sure the boost works for all of them equally.

Cheers,

Torsten
  • ToH2002
  • Tone Star
Last Edit: 2 weeks 1 hour ago by ToH2002.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: ryentzer, swaite

Not sure which route to take. 2 weeks 46 minutes ago #17116

Cantabile looks cool, but not yet available for Mac. The website says an OS-X version is in the works. :thumbs up:
  • swaite
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Not sure which route to take. 1 week 6 days ago #17118

Swaite, the user that goes withe handle "Jamsden" is on Has and he has thoroughly explained his workflow in this very Forum. Look for his past posts.

HTH,
  • LtKojak
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: swaite

Not sure which route to take. 1 week 6 days ago #17123

swaite wrote:
Cantabile looks cool, but not yet available for Mac. The website says an OS-X version is in the works. :thumbs up:

Yes, Brad (the creator of Cantabile) is currently very busy on his Mac version - he's pretty much stopped all Windows enhancements for the moment. So it looks pretty promising for the Mac crowd...

Cheers,

Torsten
  • ToH2002
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: swaite

Not sure which route to take. 1 week 5 days ago #17131

I use S-Gear live as well. I use the TC Electronic Spark Boost to push parts forwards. I got the single-knob booster for that reason. Works great.
E2C78AD5-C5D7-4799-B534-5DA4A562ACFD.jpeg
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Not sure which route to take. 1 week 4 days ago #17133

Nice setup! How do you like the Apogee Gio? Do you also use it with S-Gear?
  • ryentzer
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Not sure which route to take. 1 week 4 days ago #17134

I'm also using an FCB-1010 with a Eureka Prom chip installed www.eurekasound.com/eurekaprom/a3
In EF mode all the switches are used to turn on or off or switch whatever parameter you assign them to.For boost I simply switch from Amp A to Amp B. Add a little volume or gain, or change the amp model. Seems to switch pretty much instantly
  • jekyll
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Not sure which route to take. 1 week 4 days ago #17136

ryentzer wrote:
Nice setup! How do you like the Apogee Gio? Do you also use it with S-Gear?

I really like it. I’ve been using it for 5 plus years now. I like that it’s made for guitar and has an apogee converter. It’s my favorite USB audio for guitar. It works great with S-Gear in a live setting and for tracking.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: ryentzer

Not sure which route to take. 1 week 1 day ago #17157

+1 on FCB1010. I've played hundreds of gigs with it, never failed. don't worry about your concern of lack of recent updates... it does it all and is easily customized.

I run it in Cantabile 2, and have programmed one of the expression pedals on the 1010 to control the master volume of S Gear, and set it to only about a 50% range, so it's not too touchy. I mainly use that simply as master volume,to adjust to the band's overall dynamics. But I also have different S Gear presets for leads as well, which are set to be about 2-3 db louder than my rythym presets.

However, the fastest switching in S Gear is the amp's A/B, much faster than a preset swtich. So one switch on the 1010 is dedicated to Amp A/B , and I use that when a fast tone change is needed.

A simple clean boost pedal could also work, as you'd indicated, but is far more limited. Once you start to see all the things you can do with the 1010, you'll never look back.

Hope that helps...
Last Edit: 1 week 1 day ago by gearhead001.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: ryentzer
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds