TOPIC: Gear for a newbie

Gear for a newbie 2 months 3 days ago #17159

Hi,
I am new to the forum and to s-gear. I am using a Mac computer with Logic as a DAW and Mainstage. I have a Tascam 16x08 interface and a fcb 1010 MIDI controller. I have a few hundred dollars to invest in my rig and was just wondering how to get the most bang for my buck while improving my rig?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Gear for a newbie 2 months 3 days ago #17160

Hello,

It would be helpful to know what path you are wanting to take.

For example, 1) recording, 2) live usage or, 3) a combination of both.

You have the interface, a great pedal board, a computer and the software to make it all work.
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mason0770

Gear for a newbie 2 months 3 days ago #17162

Thanks! Definitely a combination of recording and live performance.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Gear for a newbie 2 months 3 days ago #17163

If you want to go live you will need a MAC Book or something like that. If live mean live at home this is different B)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Gear for a newbie 2 months 3 days ago #17173

Hello,

Live means "live performance"...so, not at home...
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: fatherjacques

Gear for a newbie 2 months 3 days ago #17179

Yep, live performance at a venue that is not my home. I should have clarified that I have a MacBook Pro.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Gear for a newbie 2 months 3 days ago #17180

Maybe what I need is workflow advice. I know there are posts on here about that but I am having trouble finding it because there is so much good information on here.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Gear for a newbie 2 months 3 days ago #17181

Hello,

Here is a very generic diagram for you:
workflow2.png

Note: The Interface IN and Interface OUT is handled by a single cable - USB, Firewire or Thunderbolt, depending on what interface you are using. This being said, the actual workflow is still as it is displayed above. The MIDI Pedal Board would be coming from the Interface MIDI IN/OUT. Finally, all of the patching would be completed within the audio software you are using.

I hope that you find this helpful?
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
Last Edit: 2 months 3 days ago by mr-es335.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mason0770

Gear for a newbie 2 months 3 days ago #17182

Thanks! Great diagram! I have everything according to your diagram and it all seems to be working and communicating properly. Now I need to figure out a very basic performance setup using the fcb and s-gear. I use mostly clean up to transparent overdrive. Sometimes I need to boost my signal for a lead and sometimes that lead uses a Wah-Wah pedal. Seems simple enough to accomplish but for some reason I need a little help or guidance or advice to get going in the right direction. Thanks in advance!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Gear for a newbie 2 months 2 days ago #17183

Hello,

I do not use a MIDI controller, but there are many here that do, so will be able to assist you with this.

The US-16x08 is a great interface and the FCB-1010 is a great MIDI controller, so you are on your way to have a great live performance rig.

What are planning to use for a road case? The SKB 1SKB-iSF2U is a great choice, as is the SKB Studio Flyer 4U.
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Gear for a newbie 1 week 4 days ago #17504

I play keys live (only mess with guitar, just got s-gear!) and have considered using a laptop live. Here's the thing: I would always have a backup of just about everything. Mic, cables, keyboards, etc. Most of us would find it tough to have a backup laptop/interface/software ready to go, but I'd still want *something* there. I've had gear die on me a few times, and I'm just a weekend warrior. So that might be one area to spend money on, even if it's a little zoom g1on or something that could get you through a gig if the laptop flakes on you.

Do you have monitoring? I may have missed that in your post. My band's guitarist now uses regular wedge monitors fed from the main mixer, but a lot of folks want more control. For a while I used a powered speaker as my monitor until I went to in-ears. One reason I mention this is that monitoring can complicate things--where to get your signal to send to your monitor(s) for example--will the interface support doing this AND going to front-of-house etc. Apologies if you are an old pro at live playing, just disregard all this!

Logic Pro has just about everything you need, but I know some people have invested in additional plugins. I have gotten more synths/piano but as far as guitar, well you already have the big upgrade. The Logic amp sim is...well I like s-gear approximately 92 times better :) I have my eye on a reverb upgrade, probably a Valhalla one, because I don't like the algorithmic reverbs that much in Logic. Space Designer is a convolution reverb and I don't always want one of those. I picked up a free tube screamer plugin ("Tubes Creamer" lol) that goes great with the s-gear amps IMO. In general though, a piece of advice I've heard is "get to know the DAW well before rushing to replace the built-in plugins" and I think that's good advice.
  • Stokely
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds