TOPIC: Very impressed newcomer!

Very impressed newcomer! 8 months 3 weeks ago #17985

I just had to write a note to introduce myself, such as it goes, and rave a couple of minutes about this Scuffham S-Gear software. I've only recently got a PC that could handle a well appointed Pro Tools Session. I've used and still own an Avid Eleven Rack and a Boss GT-100 for all things electric guitar, an Ampeg PF-500 for Bass and a Boss AD-10 and/or mic'd for Acoustic. Any attempts at PC based guitar sims were not pretty on many fronts.

A brand spanking new purpose built machine opened up possibilities. I saw the Scufham name referenced during a hunt on the Avid forum for location of the old Eleven installation file. The rest is history.

My first test drive with S-Gear resulted in dialing in tones that I spent hours upon hours trying to dial in using my dated hardware options. That creamy saturation thing is very realistic with this software. I found it after a very short time on a few presets. It reminded me of a scene from the movie, "Hook" where a little boy moves Robin Williams' hair out of the way and stares into his eyes and finally finds Peter Pan. I had that, "There you are..." moment a few times digging for the sought after tone with S-Gear.

The real fun was once I got inside Pro Tools. Multiple instances running on aux tracks with sends pointing to them from one dry track can yield some great split(L/R) and combined or mono signal tones. I've tried various plugs in front of various S-Gear presets. Even gone L/R with S-Gear on one side and a Plugin Alliance amp sim that I was already fiddling with on the other. I saw mention in this forum about using tube emulation before S-Gear. Sure enough, worked like a charm.

The only negative I have is one that was hashed out in this forum about 6 months ago or so regarding the input volume. it was more of a paradigm shift for me than anything. Long story short, I have some options I've been playing with and the need for more experiments. Happy Times!!!

Well, that's about it for now. I look forward to a whole lot of lurking. :mrgreen: J/K - I'll contribute from time to time.

PB
  • PatriotsBiker
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Very impressed newcomer! 8 months 3 weeks ago #17986

Welcome to the forum PB and thanks so much for the entertaining feedback. :)

Using mono S-GEAR instances on aux sends is a useful technique and often overlooked. Either using the same amp for true stereo or creating a richer amp blend.

Cheers,
Mike
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Very impressed newcomer! 8 months 3 weeks ago #17993

Thanks, Mike.

I do have one noob-to-S-Gear question for anyone. I feel like I am missing something obvious. In the current PDF on page 20, the Wayfarer description includes reference to 3 channels. The first one is obvious in text as "Wayfarer Clean". The nearest I can tell is that I am missing something big, or that the three channels are defined by virtue of which combination of gains employed and toggles are set.

Is there a clearer defining break between the 3 channels, or is it defined by other combinations of controls? My guess would be the clean channel is with the I/II switch set to "I" and the Lead toggle is in the down position. then "II" is channel and Lead up plug "II" would be the 3rd channel.
  • PatriotsBiker
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Very impressed newcomer! 8 months 3 weeks ago #18014

PatriotsBiker wrote:

Thanks, Mike.

I do have one noob-to-S-Gear question for anyone. I feel like I am missing something obvious. In the current PDF on page 20, the Wayfarer description includes reference to 3 channels. The first one is obvious in text as "Wayfarer Clean". The nearest I can tell is that I am missing something big, or that the three channels are defined by virtue of which combination of gains employed and toggles are set.

Is there a clearer defining break between the 3 channels, or is it defined by other combinations of controls? My guess would be the clean channel is with the I/II switch set to "I" and the Lead toggle is in the down position. then "II" is channel and Lead up plug "II" would be the 3rd channel.

You are correct, the two lead channels are provided by the 'Lead' plus the 'I/II' switch. This is the same structure as a boogie MKn circuit, essentially offering three different pre-amp configurations based on switched tube stages (rather than three completely independent channels).
The following user(s) said Thank You: fatherjacques
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Very impressed newcomer! 8 months 3 weeks ago #18020

mike wrote:

PatriotsBiker wrote:

Thanks, Mike.

You are correct, the two lead channels are provided by the 'Lead' plus the 'I/II' switch. This is the same structure as a boogie MKn circuit, essentially offering three different pre-amp configurations based on switched tube stages (rather than three completely independent channels).

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification.
  • PatriotsBiker
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Very impressed newcomer! 8 months 3 weeks ago #18022

"Using mono S-GEAR instances on aux sends is a useful technique and often overlooked. Either using the same amp for true stereo or creating a richer amp blend."

Indeed! I'm having fun playing around with various configurations in Pro Tools. Fun, fun, fun! :rock out:
Last edit: 8 months 3 weeks ago by swaite.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Very impressed newcomer! 8 months 3 weeks ago #18033

You know it! I'm digging a tube processor emulation I have. The Black Box I got on sale from Plugin Alliance. The tube being adjusted on the right side adds some depth character. Some stomp box emulations from the Eleven world have been nifty, too, though I only tried a couple for any real length of time.

I've got a basic track set up to test S-Gear pre-sets. I have an S-Gear instantiated in the 7th Insert slot. The first three inserts are all single band stock EQs with just a gain boost. One 3-db and two with 6-db gains. I just bypass/unbypass as needed to get the volume close to what I think the patch is looking for. Final input volume tuning done on the input slider. Easy to leave the amp gains alone except for tone shaping purposes.

I'm working on a Keef amp tandem. He mentioned a VOX AC30 and a Fender Twin (Reverb?) paring in an interview. Lots of easy tweaks using distinct mono S-Gear instantiations on distinct Aux tracks. Especially a delayed reverb tail on the right side.

Anything you (or anyone) like to use in a PT (or any DAW)?
  • PatriotsBiker
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Very impressed newcomer! 8 months 3 weeks ago #18034

Hey PatroitsBiker!

I'm running a mono audio track in PT with FX off in S-Gear (amp and cab sIm only) and then bussing that track to various Stereo Aux tracks where I'm using only the FX racks in S-Gear. The stereo Aux FX tracks can be mixed in to suit the tone you are going for. You can also pan the Aux tracks creating more dynamic FXs. All mono and Aux tracks are then bussed to a Stereo Audio track that can be recorded.

I'm finding that there really isn't enough time to play with S-Gear. Endless hours of enjoyment! :rock out:
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Very impressed newcomer! 8 months 1 week ago #18083

swaite wrote:

Hey PatroitsBiker!

I'm running a mono audio track in PT with FX off in S-Gear (amp and cab sIm only) and then bussing that track to various Stereo Aux tracks where I'm using only the FX racks in S-Gear. The stereo Aux FX tracks can be mixed in to suit the tone you are going for. You can also pan the Aux tracks creating more dynamic FXs. All mono and Aux tracks are then bussed to a Stereo Audio track that can be recorded.

I'm finding that there really isn't enough time to play with S-Gear. Endless hours of enjoyment! :rock out:
I've done something similar in the song I am working on now. This time with a "recorded" bit of a bottom mic snare from Superior Drummer 3. I used one of the presets used for a doom and gloom sounding guitar bit. The path was:
-> bottom mic with excessive snare-spring noise into
-> a VERY heavy dose of Softube's FET compressor then into
-> a transient shaping plugin, then into S-Gear with slight modifications to the RoomThing module and a bit of EQ fiddling; Then into
-> A different Transient plugin. (One was Softube and the other was Waves) then into
-> Plugin Alliance Blackbox Tube, then into,
-> Fab Fllter's EQ.

The result, which I will post when finished, was a snarly, percussive grinding noise that fits in with the nature of this song quite nicely.

I usually do not get this creative, but something I've since forgotten about sort of inspired.
  • PatriotsBiker
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Very impressed newcomer! 8 months 1 week ago #18084

Maybe not be relevant, but I like to give my sound a bit of a mid-range "character" by using an EQ as a boost in front of S-Gear and it responds fantastic to it. Even more creamy and saturated.
  • danos@online.no
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Very impressed newcomer! 8 months 5 days ago #18119

danos@online.no wrote:

Maybe not be relevant, but I like to give my sound a bit of a mid-range "character" by using an EQ as a boost in front of S-Gear and it responds fantastic to it. Even more creamy and saturated.
Interesting. I've not tried much in the way of EQ shaping before amp sims except to clean up a bit. I will have to try. I've certainly done some clean boosting as well as sonic enhancers like tube emulations and such. I've been running external amp sims until recently. This is whole new world.
  • PatriotsBiker
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Very impressed newcomer! 8 months 20 hours ago #18137

I posted the song I did with that sound-effect snare thing I described to SoundCloud. The sound effect is right at the beginning for a bit and again at the end. Please forgive the awful playing and the even more awful vocals. A singer I am not. I would not suggest to anyone that they look at the other songs from a few years ago. If you think this is bad, 'oy!!!

I digress.

Burning Belt
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike
  • PatriotsBiker
  • Tone Star
Last edit: 8 months 20 hours ago by PatriotsBiker. Reason: forgot to enter the link
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds