• Page:

TOPIC: Vst pedals any good?

Vst pedals any good? 2 months 1 week ago #18234

I have heard some people say that they can get free pedals that they use with Scuffham. Is anybody using these pedals and which are you using? Without listening to them I'm unsure if they are on par with the original pedals or not (tube screamer, ds1, od and so on). I suppose one advantage would be re-amping which is the main reason for buying Scuffham.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Vst pedals any good? 2 months 1 week ago #18239

vst i like & use often:

www.finecutbodies.com/?p=sound
nice simple exciter

klanghelm.com/contents/products/IVGI/IVGI.php
nice & simple saturator

distorqueaudio.com/plugins/vitamin-c.html
orange squeezer compressor - but try the other vst´s too ! nice vintage soundtoys
especially the facefuzz and the rangemaster

www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/
in the free version very nice 4 band parallel dynamic EQ (paid: 6 band)

Greed Smasher from mercuriall
mercuriall.com/cms/details_freestuff
very nice modern Tubescreamer - try the TS808 vst too!

aegeanmusic.com/pitchproof-specs
for some octaver etc.

DAW is REAPER so it can load 32 bit vst´s

AND TRUST YOUR EARS!
  • loder
  • Tone Star
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by loder.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: jamie1981uk

Vst pedals any good? 2 months 1 week ago #18240

It seems that I've been mentioning these a lot lately, but for good reason. They're still the best options I've come across for plugins designed to emulate guitar pedals.

www.kuassa.com/products/
  • elambo
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: ges, jamie1981uk, Dallon426

Vst pedals any good? 2 months 1 week ago #18241

In general, VST pedals work ok. My experience however is that VST pedals generate more noise than real pedals. Speaking of my VOX straight 6 overdrive pedal which I use to kick the SGear amps - very good results and less noise than a VST pedal, easier to kick on and off.
So my advice would be: try the free VST pedals, but before buying any VST pedals, consider using a real pedal.
  • akay
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: jamie1981uk

Vst pedals any good? 2 months 1 week ago #18248

I just tried patchwork with kuasa OD and scuffman in the chain. I was absolutely impressed with the OD in Kuasa. A little vintage spring reverb from scuffman and I was OD'ing on tone.
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Dallon426.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Vst pedals any good? 2 months 1 week ago #18249

I have never liked the drives in any VST format, except the ones from distorque, which are quite nice (Rangebastard and the fuzzes).

In my experience, all the other drives do not behave like a real pedal, no matter how I set them up. You can certainly find acceptable echos, delays, flangers, phaser, chorus, etc., in VST format, but for drives, I prefer real pedals.
My instrumental EP: doctor7.bandcamp.com/album/political-rollercoaster
My other EP with songs: doctor7.bandcamp.com/album/three-ways-of-telling-a-story
I am an artist endorsed by Kinman pickups.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Vst pedals any good? 2 months 1 week ago #18250

Not sure why VST's would create noise. They generally don't add any noise unless it's part of the algorithm. Perhaps you mean aliasing noise? Aliasing can be an issue depending on the coding. 4x+ oversampling can eliminate audible aliasing effects for high gain plugins, but high bit word coding can also be effective. AFAIK, it depends on the level of harmonics being generated. All good recommendations so far. I still like:

-Nick Crow Lab: 'TubeDriver' for sweet tube overdrive with some nice versatility. The Bias control actually works opposite of a real tube circuit. Clockwise adds odd harmonics. I kinda like it right in the middle with filtering depending on the amount of drive, etc and 8x oversampling. Higher oversampling settings seem to roll off the high end. Probably the best of the bunch for high gain sounds if you don't mind making some filtering adjustments

-Variety Of Sound: 'TeslaProMkII' for various sustain/boost sounds with a unique/useful set of parameters.

-AirWindows: 'PowerSag', 'Density' and 'Drive' for sustain/boost and overdrive sounds with just a few useful parameters.

I like to stack any of those with Klanghelm 'IVGI2' depending on the character of boost/overdrive I want.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Vst pedals any good? 2 months 1 week ago #18255

asintoras wrote:
I have never liked the drives in any VST format, except the ones from distorque, which are quite nice (Rangebastard and the fuzzes).

In my experience, all the other drives do not behave like a real pedal, no matter how I set them up. You can certainly find acceptable echos, delays, flangers, phaser, chorus, etc., in VST format, but for drives, I prefer real pedals.
Have you tried "the Scream" by Cytomic?
cytomic.com/#plugins
(don't worry about it being beta, it's been like this for a while now any is completely stable)
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Vst pedals any good? 2 months 1 week ago #18256

Good list of plugs here!

I haven't seen "Noise Suppression" (newer PVNoNoise) by Vadim Taranov listed yet. It works well for me as the first plugin in my "VST pedal chain". The default setting cuts a lot of noise without affecting the signal much at all.

pvamps.blogspot.com/2015/05/pvnonoise.html

It's 32bit only, but works fine bridged in my 64bit setup.
  • johnm
  • Tone Star
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by johnm. Reason: Additional Info
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Vst pedals any good? 2 months 1 week ago #18257

The Kuassa Silencer is 64bit and free.

www.kuassa.com/products/efektor-silencer/
  • spinner
  • Tone Seeker
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by spinner.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Vst pedals any good? 2 months 1 week ago #18258

Few pedals I enjoy with Sgear :

AXP Charbooster, I find the "presence drive" preset is pretty magical

NSP BlackBooster

Have got a Helix & Helix Native, so am using that as a 'pedalboard' into Sgear

cheers

Frank
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Vst pedals any good? 2 months 1 week ago #18259

jbraner wrote:
Have you tried "the Scream" by Cytomic?

Here's another vote for the Scream. It's very reminiscent of the TS. And it's been stable.
  • elambo
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Vst pedals any good? 2 months 1 week ago #18260

It's a shame bias FX is a slow plugin. I think it's got some great sounds. Load time is slow. Changing amps and effects is slow. Meh...
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Vst pedals any good? 2 months 1 week ago #18261

I have stopped using BIAS FX or BIAS Amp, the tones are really lacking compared to other options, especially in the effects. Nice UI, nice features, nice ideas, but I don't feel the tone is there. For example, check out the BIAS FX UniVibe then compare it to Helix Native. I find the BIAS FX model unusable.
  • jamsden
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Vst pedals any good? 2 months 1 week ago #18262

I too think the BIAS products are overpriced, overhyped and not worth the asking price at all.
  • LtKojak
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dallon426

Vst pedals any good? 2 months 1 week ago #18267

I use SG for gigging primarily... and +1 for Nick Crowe Tube Driver. I use it a lot... it's relatively low cpu load, gives you a lot of control and variation, EQ, and the Bias already mentioned. The Saturation Knob is also nice, not as versatile but adds a little drive.

I also have a fulltone Fulldrive 2 that's an actual clean boost pedal, with some overdrive too. It's pretty nice, but I've done a lot of comparisons and I can get virtually the same tones with plugs. Especially when you compare them in a mix, not soloed. So I ended up using plugs, since I like to keep my setup fast and clean.

Another interesting one is Face Bender, supposedly an emulation of Gilmour's Face Bender. It's fine for over-the-top OD, but it's a little harsh to my ears.

BTW all these are free, if I remember correctly.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Vst pedals any good? 2 months 1 week ago #18271

Waiting to hear some feedback from the OP on all this, but I think he is looking for free VST plugs.

One thing a bit annoying about the NCL Tube Driver is I like the sound best with the oversampling knob right at 12 O'clock/8x, but it drops down just enough to alter the high end harmonic sound every time I open the plugin or change a preset, and I have to reset it straight up. Like Klaghelm IVGI2, I use it b4 and after S-gear with different settings for different purposes: tube overdrive "pedal" vs a speaker dynamics effect. IVGI2 is more of an output transformer overdrive/boost with a few very useful unique features. It also does very nice tape saturation effects after S-gear.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Vst pedals any good? 2 months 6 days ago #18277

Mercuriall ones - Tubes Creamer (based on Ibanez® TS-808 both normal and modded) and Greed Smasher (Mesa/Boogie® Grid Slammer) are free and really good quality. I am using both before S-Gear in Reaper and with input gain around 2-2,2 (for single coils). They are working perfectly so really worth to check.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Vst pedals any good? 2 months 2 days ago #18282

MonkeyGoesNowhere wrote:
Mercuriall ones - Tubes Creamer (based on Ibanez® TS-808 both normal and modded) and Greed Smasher (Mesa/Boogie® Grid Slammer) are free and really good quality. I am using both before S-Gear in Reaper and with input gain around 2-2,2 (for single coils). They are working perfectly so really worth to check.

+1

If you're feeling adventurous, try this with some more freebies...

Use the "Noise Suppression" VST (newer PVNoNoise) default into IVGI2(Drive 4, Output +6, Asym Mix 1, Response HF+) before TSC and Greed Smasher (defaults) into S-Gear,

then...

IVGI2(Drive 3, Output +4, Asym Mix 5, Response HF+) and La Petite Excite (adjust to taste) after S-Gear.

I like this free "chain" with the attached speaker preset and any amp - even at default settings. It can get you into serious high-gain(and low-noise) and yet responds well to guitar volume knob changes. Bypass TSC and/or Greed Smasher to lower the gain structure. Add delay, reverb and chorus depending on the needs of the tune. Tweak away.
Attachments:
  • johnm
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: MonkeyGoesNowhere

Vst pedals any good? 2 months 1 day ago #18283

Wow, I have to admit I did not know La Petite Excite and if I only knew perhaps I would not buy Spark. Don't get me wrong, this is great plugin but S-Gear The Stealer with this small VST (AU in my case) works amazing. I followed your advise and ended with simpler chain IVGI2 to TSC to S-Gear to La Petite but still this sound awesome. I have OwnHammer and Redwirez IRs, so I added K120 JBL to S-Gear and it's rocks now....
Last Edit: 2 months 1 day ago by MonkeyGoesNowhere.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds