www.keithmcmillen.com/products/softstep/

Easily programmable and check out the other controller the 12 step

www.keithmcmillen.com/products/12-step/
The following user(s) said Thank You: NightWalker, swaite
  • Dallon426
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Here is an excellent foot controller 4 months 2 weeks ago #18351

Do you own this one? What makes it excellent? I've been looking for a good one and I've heard mixed reviews on these products.
  • ryentzer
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Here is an excellent foot controller 4 months 2 weeks ago #18352

ryentzer wrote:

Do you own this one? What makes it excellent? I've been looking for a good one and I've heard mixed reviews on these products.
I have one and can understand the mixed reviews.

The pedal is excellent, but the technical support one of the worst I ever met. Don’t expect any kind of help from them... just arrogance and the finding that actually they don’t even know the full potential and features of the hardware they are selling.

On the plus side, you can configure any of the buttons to send any type of midi message you can imagine, with or without velocity depending o the pressure you put on each one of the buttons. Each pad can have actually 4 positions (arrows) and different responses depending on how you press it (foot on, trigger, etc). It can get crazy. Mix it with the bome midi translator software and I bet you can do anything you imagine with it.

One of the features I most like is the ability to receive midi messages (for example to turn leds on and off depending on the plugins you activate) pitty s-gear doesn’t send yet midi out messages....

Software is stable but hard to configure until you understand how it works

Never has a problem with the unit itself
The following user(s) said Thank You: ryentzer
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Here is an excellent foot controller 4 months 2 weeks ago #18353

Funny, I emailed them a question yesterday. Let's see how long it will take to receive an answer. I'll post back when they do get in touch with me. Steinberg is another company with terrible customer support. But a great daw.
  • Dallon426
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Here is an excellent foot controller 4 months 2 weeks ago #18354

For those in Europe, here are two builders that make awesome midi foot controllers at a reasonable price

reverb.com/es/shop/roberts-gear-bazaar-146
reverb.com/es/shop/actitions-boutique

I got the Actition's 8 switches and its really nice

PS: No affiliation at all
The following user(s) said Thank You: ryentzer, swaite
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Here is an excellent foot controller 4 months 2 weeks ago #18356

I might have read it here, not sure, but after I found out about the Morningstar MC6 I went ahead and bought one straight away. It is one of the most compact yet most feature-rich midi controller I found. The other option I've been looking at recetly was the eventide evenmidi. I find it quite tempting to get one, only because it has knobs as well. Right now I use the MC6 together with a Novation LaunchControl to be able to control all aspects of sgear. That is a great combination, but the evenmidi might be able to replace them both.
Also I started using the MC6 with my normal pedals on my pedalboard. I started reducing my pedalboard and ended up with 3 midi controllable pedals plus a couple of traditional pedals. The MC6 replaced my loop switcher, since all the midi controllable pedals can be turned on/off with midi CC's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fatherjacques
  • tanarur
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Here is an excellent foot controller 4 months 2 weeks ago #18357

I do not have a solution (yet), but the most crucial thing a decent midi foot controller has to bring is a good software to configure it! I recently bought a Behringer FCB 1010 which is - from a mechanical perspective - a good controller, but the programming was just so 90s ... awful. And I did not want to buy a piece of third party software or put in a new EPROM (that is 80s technology), so I sent it back.
I have an old Guitar Rig Kontrol 3 which works perfectly - with Guitar Rig. With SGear in standalone mode, it works ok but in Logic or Mainstage I found no way to use it. All good solutions (easy to use, flexible and reliable) I see currently on the market are proprietary solutions, like the L6 Helix or the Kemper with pedalboard or ... .
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Here is an excellent foot controller 4 months 2 weeks ago #18358

An FCB1010 with the EureakPROM3 is a pretty functional and simple unit to use with S-Gear. It can be programmed, but its fairly limited and very simple. The nice thing is that it just does want you need it to do for guitar into a computer. Putting in the EPROM only takes a few minutes. I think this is cost effective and very functional.

For configuring MIDI controller assignments in Logic Pro X, see: jimamsden.wordpress.com/2017/12/28/creat...troller-assignments/ .
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Here is an excellent foot controller 4 months 2 weeks ago #18359

akay wrote:

I recently bought a Behringer FCB 1010 which is - from a mechanical perspective - a good controller, but the programming was just so 90s ... awful. And I did not want to buy a piece of third party software or put in a new EPROM (that is 80s technology), so I sent it back.
As an owner of a FCB1010 since 2005, which I upgraded with the UNO EEPROM, using Amplitube 4 in standalone mode. This is for Live playing only; in the studio I still exclusively use S-Gear.

The UNO allows me to program it to change presets with the lower row of switches and to on/off the effects of the chosen preset with the upper row, not to mention to have at your disposal both pedals, which are set up one as the the Volume pedal and the other as the Wah-Wah.

I could also program it to play/stop backing tracks or use the AT in-built looper, but those are features I don't actually operate in my present workflow.

To close the argument: if given the choice today to choose the EEPROM, I probably go with the Eureka, due to the added programming possibilities not present on the UNO, like programming compatibility of both Win and OS-X OS platforms.

If you ask me, I think you made a mistake of sending it back, specially looking at the "reasons" to do so.

YMMV.
Last edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by LtKojak.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Here is an excellent foot controller 4 months 2 weeks ago #18360

Well, I have said before in other threads that I prefer some real pedals rather than VST (wah and drives in particular), so I would rather still use my real pedalboard if using an amp sim. With that in consideration, I don't want to carry two pedalboards (one to control MIDI and another for my FX), so I prefer a MIDI foot controller with a small footprint.

I have the Tech21 MIDI Mouse, which is excellent for my needs, and got it for £40 pretty much new! Small, sturdy, and does what I need, which is to go UP/DOWN on the presets, and if needed, do significant jumps by using the Search/Activate button.

Yes, a volume pedal would be nice, but if you want something good, small and cheap, you can also find the Line6 FVP MKII by connecting it with the USB cable. That would give you control of the tuner, UP/DOWN on presets, and a expression pedal, all in one unit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ryentzer
  • asintoras
  • Tone Master
My instrumental EP: doctor7.bandcamp.com/album/political-rollercoaster
My other EP with songs: doctor7.bandcamp.com/album/three-ways-of-telling-a-story
I am an artist endorsed by Kinman pickups.
Last edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by asintoras.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Here is an excellent foot controller 4 months 2 weeks ago #18363

LtKojak wrote:

As an owner of a FCB1010 since 2005, which I upgraded with the UNO EEPROM, using Amplitube 4 in standalone mode. This is for Live playing only; in the studio I still exclusively use S-Gear.

The UNO allows me to program it to change presets with the lower row of switches and to on/off the effects of the chosen preset with the upper row, not to mention to have at your disposal both pedals, which are set up one as the the Volume pedal and the other as the Wah-Wah.

I could also program it to play/stop backing tracks or use the AT in-built looper, but those are features I don't actually operate in my present workflow.

To close the argument: if given the choice today to choose the EEPROM, I probably go with the Eureka, due to the added programming possibilities not present on the UNO, like programming compatibility of both Win and OS-X OS platforms.

If you ask me, I think you made a mistake of sending it back, specially looking at the "reasons" to do so.

YMMV.

Well, back in 2005 I would probably have kept it. If I buy a unit today and have to buy a new eprom and break my warranty on day one to make it usable, this is a no-go for me, even for a 140 bucks unit. Having seen the usability of a Line6 Helix, I know what I would expect from a good foot controller. Currently I do not really need a foot controller, I just would like to have one ... .
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Here is an excellent foot controller 4 months 2 weeks ago #18364

But you can get the FCBs ultra cheap used .... I payed for mine 70 euros if I remember correctly ... another consideration is that probably is not the most easy to use solution.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds