TOPIC: S-Gear live

S-Gear live 2 months 1 week ago #18366

Maybe hard to tell, here's my laptop running stand-alone S-gear for a musical theater gig in my home town, Olympia, WA. For anyone thinking about using S-gear live direct I can testify to it's pro usage if nothing else. Been running computer rigs In shows awhile now. Early on Guitar Rig and Ampltube. I was using Reaper which I really liked. It was a little buggy. When they went to a new version, a couple models I think they nailed went bye bye. A friend recommended I try S-gear after he told me to shut up about Reaper. I love S-gear.

Simple setup. Avid Mbox (by the way, soft limiting feature is great for guitars); ASUS laptop running Windows 10.

Factory presets get you pretty much there tonally with predicable results when you turn knobs and flip switches, just like good amps do. Even my Takamine with amp bypassed, just FX, sounds great.

Kudos to Mike Scuffham
for a killer sounding, intuitive software rig.
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by windolph.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear live 2 months 1 week ago #18367

And to think S-Gear is only going to get better from here on out :rock out:
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear live 2 months 6 days ago #18377

I have not yet used S-Gear live as I use a Helix and JTV-69S. The combination of a Variax and Helix is nearly unbeatable for club gigging or show musicians. If I was Matt Schofield and had my own signature tone, this probably wouldn’t be my setup. But I’m not (and that’s ok).

I do however have a computer at live gigs and am exploring occasional use of JamOrigin for MIDI tones using MainStage. That opens the possibility of using Helix for effects and S-Gear for amp models.

That could work and would likely be an improvement in overall tone, but I’m not sure it would be worth the extra complexity. Once S-Gear has easier access to front of the amp effects, I might reconsider, at least for my goto tone.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear live 2 months 5 days ago #18378

I’m a former Line 6 artist and have been a fan of the Variax-POD/Helix FX set up for live and in studio use. I find the overseas made JTV-69 to be an average instrument at best. I haven’t played the US made JTV but would think it would a superior axe and the way to go. Anybody out there have experience with overseas vs US made JTV-69? Would love to hear your opinion of difference in quality. :thumbs up:
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear live 2 months 5 days ago #18379

Is the MBox in a rack and bag? I have AudioBox iOne that I wouldn't mind rack mounting for an easier to carry setup (cables, etc.). I'd like to see a closer picture of that if you have one available.

FWIW, I've played S-Gear live at church on several occasions without hiccup, including two, hour long specials we did for Christmas last year.
  • ryentzer
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear live 2 months 4 days ago #18380

swaite wrote:

I’m a former Line 6 artist and have been a fan of the Variax-POD/Helix FX set up for live and in studio use. I find the overseas made JTV-69 to be an average instrument at best. I haven’t played the US made JTV but would think it would a superior axe and the way to go. Anybody out there have experience with overseas vs US made JTV-69? Would love to hear your opinion of difference in quality. :thumbs up:
I’ve heard varying reports on the quality difference between the US and non-US made JTVs. Seems like the consensus it that the US model is a lot more money for not much noticeable quality difference. I bought my JTV-69S off eBay, and it certainly needed work including a new nut, bridge needed to be remounted, polish the frets, and do a good setup. But that’s not all that unusual with any guitar. The models sound quite good and provide a lot of gig flexibility. But the thing that pushed it over the top was changing the pickups. I used SVL Daytonas and love them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: swaite
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear live 2 months 3 days ago #18388

Jamsden - what kind of nut did you put on your Variax? I’ve gone through two stock nuts and both are sub-optimal. Let me know and add a link if you can.

Thanks!

Steve

Ps: Disappointed to learn that a $3,800 JTV would not be noticeable better in quality than the $1,000 foreign made model. :ohmy:
Last edit: 2 months 3 days ago by swaite.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear live 2 months 3 days ago #18389

A local guy here put on a bone nut for me. I've had him do it on 5 guitars. A good nut well cut makes a big difference.

Re: JTV US - its only what I heard, I've never seen one. Keep in mind the labor for a good setup, stainless steel frets, etc. can make a real difference on a guitar. I suspect they don't charge that much for nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: swaite
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear live 2 months 2 days ago #18397

The MBox is sitting on a rack shelf in a rack held in place with heavy duty velcro.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.754 seconds