TOPIC: Anyone tried Rosen Digital cab IRs?

Anyone tried Rosen Digital cab IRs? 3 weeks 4 days ago #18440

Wondering if anyone has tried the Rosen Digital cab IRs. I'm actually considering them for Bass Amp cabinets rather than guitar, because the S-Gear cabinets sound fine to me. I am posting on this forum because it is here that I learned about the Redwirez and OwnHammer cab IRs, and because I respect people's opinion on this forum.
  • Dilaco
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Anyone tried Rosen Digital cab IRs? 3 weeks 4 days ago #18441

I have their Ampeg IRs -- they're good.
  • elambo
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dilaco

Anyone tried Rosen Digital cab IRs? 3 weeks 3 days ago #18450

I have a bunch of them, 3sigma audio too. They seem to have fallen out of use as I still prefer Redwirez and Mike’s IRS. I suspect the individual cabinets that were sampled have a lot more impact on the end result than the differences in sampling process and post processing.
  • jamsden
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Anyone tried Rosen Digital cab IRs? 3 weeks 3 days ago #18451

It's not a simple thing to get a great tone from a guitar cab, so although I agree that the cab makes a big difference -- more so than the technology -- the skills of the engineer to get the most from from the speakers, and from the room itself, play a major role in the quality of the IR.

What I'm discovering is that there's an enormous pool of available IRs but no *easy* (i.e. "fast") way of parsing the excellent from the mediocre. If IRs will continue to grow in popularity, and they certainly will for the immediate future, then there must become a better way to audition them. I went to Redwirez site today and it was so cryptic and unfriendly that I ultimately bailed, and that's the case for many IR companies.

Give us a piece of software that has access to a plethora of these great IRs from various companies, and an intuitive way to wade through them, and then we'll see this technology properly and necessarily wrangled. Until then, the 3rd-party IR business is far too chaotic and disorderly.
  • elambo
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Anyone tried Rosen Digital cab IRs? 3 weeks 3 days ago #18452

Thanks Elambo and Jamsden for chiming in. I agree that the IR cab websites I have visited have been somewhat complicated to navigate, and they leave a lot of questions about the particular products unanswered. Perhaps I didn’t look hard enough but I couldn’t find any audio demos on either the Rosen Digital site or the Redwirez site. I went onto YouTube and typed in a search for Rosen Digital bass cabs and nothing came up – I only got guitar cab demos. That’s why I put the question on this forum.

I am mainly a guitarist, and a proud owner of S-Gear. But I also record my own bass lines with a bass guitar going direct into the DAW. I’ve found a nice Bass amp sim (actually your mentioning it in a forum post put me onto it, Jamsden), the Kuassa Cerberus Bass Amp. It has the option of 3rd party cabs but I’m not clued up with what cab IRs might suit, or are at least compatible in format to link up with the Cerberus. Internet searches on this subject are so far not proving too fruitful...
  • Dilaco
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Anyone tried Rosen Digital cab IRs? 3 weeks 3 days ago #18457

I have some of them but prefer the 3Sigma, specially after they released the 2.0 version some weeks ago. I think these are my favorites together with the Celestion ones.
  • mohi
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Anyone tried Rosen Digital cab IRs? 3 weeks 3 days ago #18458

Dilaco wrote:
Wondering if anyone has tried the Rosen Digital cab IRs
I haven't, but I doubt that they can beat these:

www.ownhammer.com/store/index.php?main_p...=183&products_id=354

I've recently participated in a recording project where the bass player used the Amplitube Ampeg SVT-4 Pro head with its 8x10" cab, but it was when he used the Ownhammer 4x10" with the Royer R121 mic that the sound got really focused and completely tied up the groove.

The bass was a 5-string Fender Jazz Bass w/active electronics.

The music was latin-inspired, groove-based with a lot of syncopation, that's why the bass was so important for the global outcome.

YMMV.
  • LtKojak
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Anyone tried Rosen Digital cab IRs? 3 weeks 2 days ago #18459

Thanks Mohi and LtKojak.

Mohi, I looked into 3Sigma but they don’t appear to have bass cabs, at least there is no product category for bass cabs on their website.

I will look into the OwnHammer cab you spoke of LtKojak. I’m green in this area and I don’t know what format the cab IRs typically come in and what format the Kuassa bass amp sim accepts (again nothing on the Kussa website or in their PDF manual on the subject). On the OwnHammer website is the following warning: KNOW YOUR PLATFORM'S FILE FORMAT! THIS LIBRARY CONTAINS .WAV FORMAT FILES ONLY.
  • Dilaco
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Anyone tried Rosen Digital cab IRs? 3 weeks 1 day ago #18466

I emailed Kuassa support and they returned my email in under an hour. According to them the Cerberus sim is good for any cab IRs in the .wav format. Probably everyone on this forum except me already knows that the IRs from OwnHammer, Redwirez, and Rosen Digital, all use the .wav format.
  • Dilaco
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Anyone tried Rosen Digital cab IRs? 3 weeks 1 day ago #18468

I have a relatively quick and simple way of evaluating IRs. I start by exploring what guitarist I really like are using: Matt Schofield, Robben Ford, Eric Clapton, Hendrix, Bloomfield, etc. That narrows down the type of speaker I start with, and whether I’m using open or closed back cabinets.

Next I think about the context of the song, what instrument I’m using (I.e., single or double coil pickups, and which one) and whether I want something warm or aggressive. This leads to mic choice. I tend to prefer single coil pickups, but like a warmer fatter tone. So I’m likely to use a ribbon mic, not set to close so there’s not a lot of unnatural bass boost from proximity effect. And I typically use cap edge or cone for the position as I know from experience this leads to tones I like.

So I’ve already reduce the number of IRs from hundreds to less then 20. I could be missing something great by narrowing down the choices, but I might never find anything good without it.

Next I setup an IR loader in my DAW, Space Designer is nice for me because I can just drag and drop an IR from Finder into the Space Designer plugin to audition the tone. I then use simple pair-wise comparisons to sort the IRs into preference order and then pick the one that best fits the song.

Having done this, I tend to gravate to the same choice over time, limiting the need to be continuously auditioning IRs.
  • jamsden
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: ryentzer

Anyone tried Rosen Digital cab IRs? 3 weeks 1 day ago #18469

Dilaco wrote:
I emailed Kuassa support and they returned my email in under an hour. According to them the Cerberus sim is good for any cab IRs in the .wav format. Probably everyone on this forum except me already knows that the IRs from OwnHammer, Redwirez, and Rosen Digital, all use the .wav format.

I think Cerberus includes impressive IRs out-of-the-box but the Rosen Ampeg IRs are at least as good and they're great options.
  • elambo
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Anyone tried Rosen Digital cab IRs? 2 weeks 6 days ago #18482

Rosen Digital make an IR loader - 'Pulse' - which they are offering for free. The IR loader that Redwirez makes - 'mixIR2' - is $49. Perhaps the paid for one is better, I don't know. I already have Altiverb, the convolution reverb plugin, which is supposed to be able to host cab IRs, but I think I would prefer a dedicated plug for this job.
  • Dilaco
  • Tone Star
Last Edit: 2 weeks 6 days ago by Dilaco.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Anyone tried Rosen Digital cab IRs? 2 weeks 18 hours ago #18524

There is a new IR company out now. They are not fully up and running as of yet but hopefully soon!
zombiecabs.com/
When you choose which cab you want you also get to choose which tube amp was used to make it plus it will come with the solid state amp version as well.
They will soon have an IR loader named "ZombIR" available with a really good demo of their IRs as well. All for FREE! Their IR loader is a collaboration with Ignite amps and it will allow IRs to be accessed via folders.
To make it even better, the IR loader will have Banks and Presets to access all your favorites.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Anyone tried Rosen Digital cab IRs? 1 week 6 days ago #18529

2550marshall wrote:
There is a new IR company out now. They are not fully up and running as of yet but hopefully soon!
zombiecabs.com/
When you choose which cab you want you also get to choose which tube amp was used to make it plus it will come with the solid state amp version as well.
They will soon have an IR loader named "ZombIR" available with a really good demo of their IRs as well. All for FREE! Their IR loader is a collaboration with Ignite amps and it will allow IRs to be accessed via folders.
To make it even better, the IR loader will have Banks and Presets to access all your favorites.

Someone is finally making the process of 3rd party IR auditioning, buying and loading user-friendly. This is great news!

(VST and AU only... aargh!)
  • elambo
Last Edit: 1 week 6 days ago by elambo.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Anyone tried Rosen Digital cab IRs? 1 week 6 days ago #18530

Yes, it will be in VST 2.4 , 3.0 & AU in x86 and x64.
Also forgot to mention, you will also be able to load any IR file of different resolutions into the loader. If you are recording in 48k and load an IR that is 44.1 or 96 it will still work....very nice.

BTW, the demo currently up on the site is not very well done (very limited ). The new demo which will be available with the new "ZombIR" is insanely good!!! The new demo will also be available without the IR loader as well.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds