TOPIC: I/O Module Question

I/O Module Question 4 months 1 week ago #19723

I was watching the Jeff McErlain demo video and trying out the preset, and noticed something interesting about the i/o setup.

While the manual suggests that when running a mono input to deactivate one of the inputs (so that both sum to mono), however the McErlain preset leaves both active and then cranks up the input level on the active channel.

I played around with this a bit, and there's definitely a difference running it dual mono vs. summed mono. The difference between the two seems to be total input level, but it seems like something else is going on. I.e., even when matching the level between dual mono vs. summed the resulting sound and feel of S-Gear is different.

Anyone else noticed this or know what's going on under the hood?

Thanks.
Last edit: 4 months 1 week ago by doubleg.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

I/O Module Question 4 months 1 week ago #19726

Hi doubleg, welcome to the forum,

When both Left and Right inputs are enabled, the two signals are summed to mono into the amp section and the signal level scaled by half. Nothing else happening internally.

If you have the same signal routed into two channels of your interface, then summing in S-GEAR, you could be hearing something as a result of summing the two analogue channels. I don't think that this is what Jeff was doing, but you could ask him!

Cheers,
Mike
  • mike
  • Administrator
Last edit: 4 months 1 week ago by mike.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

I/O Module Question 4 months 1 week ago #19730

Thanks Mike.

I'm new to the forum, but I'm one of your earliest customers actually.

In my case I am running a mono signal into the L channel only (and as confirmed by the input meters), but with both L and R active.

I suspect that the difference I'm hearing is a slight level difference between the summed mono input vs. L only (albeit level matched as closely as possible.) But I do hear a difference. The dual mono sounds clearer to me. Perhaps it's hitting the gain stages slightly differently?

Would be curious as to Jeff's thoughts if he's lurking.

Thanks.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.050 seconds