TOPIC: S-Gear and Gig Performer/VST Hosts - sound quality issues

S-Gear and Gig Performer/VST Hosts - sound quality issues 3 months 7 hours ago #21483

Sorry if I'm not posting this in the right place.... I'm a huge fan of S-Gear, and like some others I'm experimenting with using S-Gear in a VST hosting scenario to add extra effects. I'm currently trying out Gig Performer. I like the interface, but something is happening to the quality of the S-Gear sound--it's losing a bit of the sparkle and clarity of S-Gear as a standalone. The setup in question: I plug S-Gear into Gig Performer as a VST3, connect my interface (just an iRigHD2), and then virtually patch it to S-Gear and then to the out (no effects in the path). So... what am I doing wrong? Is this a known thing? Should I be using a different VST host/chainer? I've seen discussions on the board here about DAWs and setting up in stereo, but I'm not clear if that discussion applies to a host/chainer; whether I run one virtual cable or two into S-Gear, or play with S-Gear inputs, the sound remains just a bit off.... Any setup advice--or recomendations for a Mac-based VST host/chainer that preserves S-Gear's awesome sound--would be greatly appreciated.... Thank you very much!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear and Gig Performer/VST Hosts - sound quality issues 2 months 4 weeks ago #21485

Are you patching it in stereo? In other DAWs when people had issues like that it's often because they put S-Gear on a mono track. Might be the same issue here?
The following user(s) said Thank You: DOG
  • pixelyzed
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear and Gig Performer/VST Hosts - sound quality issues 2 months 4 weeks ago #21486

I'm using S-gear + GigPerformer since a couple of months and I did not get any issue, so far :)
To me the problem comes from iRig 2 that does not offer a decent converter

If you have a chance try to switch to a different audio interface

I'm currently using AXE I/O (same producer of Irig2)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear and Gig Performer/VST Hosts - sound quality issues 2 months 4 weeks ago #21488

Thank you for the quick reply! Your comment compelled me to revisit my signal chain in GP, and I inserted a Gain (M to S) in front of S-Gear, and that seemed to help! Having GP switch the interface signal to stereo (instead of letting S-Gear handle it, like it does in standalone mode) makes a difference. I'm still A/B-ing S-Gear standalone vs. plugged into GP, but I think I'm on the right track now.... Thanks again!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear and Gig Performer/VST Hosts - sound quality issues 2 months 4 weeks ago #21489

And thank you for the Axe I/O recommendation! I've been waiting for the Solo to come out. I've been getting by with the iRigHD2 okay for practicing purposes, but I'm sure better low-price converters are available now. It's just so challenging to figure out converter quality/specs without actually playing through it...!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear and Gig Performer/VST Hosts - sound quality issues 2 months 4 weeks ago #21490

I’ve been using S-Gear with Gig Performer for the past 6 months and haven’t had issues. As mentioned, differences with standalone are commonly related to the input being mono vs stereo.

In Gig Performer I’m always running plugins pre S-Gear, so don’t bother with comparisons to standalone (as it sounds great).
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds