TOPIC: From S-Gear to Tube Amps and back

From S-Gear to Tube Amps and back 2 months 1 week ago #21583

What a journey it's been.

When I started playing guitar my first "amp" was Garageband amp sims. Then I found S-Gear and used it for a number of years. It sounded great and helped me play and practice late nights and with sleeping families.

But, after watching videos and reading various forums, I got the itch for a real tube amp. "Nothing compares to a tube amp" they said. My first amp was a Fender Princeton tweed with 12" speaker. It sounded good but I kept comparing to S-Gear models! :huh: And I could only play it when the family was out of the house. I work from home so that wasn't too bad. I got to use it a couple of times a week.

I liked it, but didn't love it so I added pedals and a pedalboard. I got closer but still wasn't happy with the tone. So I bought another amp. It was a Supro Keeley model and sounds really good! I liked it, but again, could only "really" play when the family was out of the house, unless I turned it way down. What is the fun in that?

Then Covid hits. Schools were closed, we were placed on locked down. I couldn't really play my amp because the wife and kids were always home. So, I didn't play. I got frustrated with it all.

One night, I plugged into S-Gear again and realized something. S-Gear was really all I needed. And by no means is that a sacrifice of tone. In fact, I kept comparing my tube amps with S-Gear! I was chasing S-Gear's tones! :)

With S-Gear, I can play whenever I want and sound great doing it. My only gripe is I work on a computer all day, so sometimes I don't want to be tied to it.

Lastly, I'm not a gigging musician. I don't need a ton of gear. At most, I play a couple of songs at church on Sundays (pre-Covid!).

It really kind of blows my mind that I spent thousands of dollars on tube amps and pedals when for $129 and a good pair of good monitors, I have all the tone I could ever want.

Kudos Mike. S-Gear is amazing.

P.S. Anyone want to buy my tube amps?
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike
  • ryentzer
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

From S-Gear to Tube Amps and back 2 months 1 week ago #21584

You could always spend even more and try out a reactive load box with your amp :)
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

From S-Gear to Tube Amps and back 2 months 1 week ago #21607

Many thanks!

ryentzer wrote:

My only gripe is I work on a computer all day, so sometimes I don't want to be tied to it.
Completely agree. One reason why I don't find much time for social media. Eyes need to rest!
  • mike
  • Administrator
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by mike.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.060 seconds