• Page:

TOPIC: MSpectralDynamics = Hum Killer

MSpectralDynamics = Hum Killer 1 month 2 weeks ago #21741

On a whim I decided to try this plugin out. It's one of the most expensive plugins that Melda have, so I'm not actually considering buying it (well, maybe at half price).

But there's some sort of magic going on with this as a noise reduction tool. My strat is crazy noisy (I've shielded it and also tried noiseless pickups), but I love the single coils I currently have in it. Normally you wouldn't use this while playing because of the latency, but by setting it to minimum quality and resolution it's actually playable, AND I can make my strat dead silent and use high-gain presets that I wouldn't have touched previously. The big test was that there is still no noise in the decay of notes or chords.

I did try some other plugins, but this one had no effect on the tone, apart from maybe right at the end as notes decayed (where possibly it lost some high frequencies).

I'm happy to share the preset I use if anyone wanted to try it.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by kierank.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MSpectralDynamics = Hum Killer 1 month 2 weeks ago #21745

I've been using Vadim Taranov's free Noise Suppression plugin - aka PVNoNoise - for years with great results. Sorry, it's for Windows only.:(

Check it out here... pvamps.blogspot.com/2015/05/pvnonoise.html and send a few bucks if you like it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jbraner, ryentzer
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by johnm.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MSpectralDynamics = Hum Killer 1 month 2 weeks ago #21746

Yes, $224 is a lot for noise suppression. I've comfortably settled into Brusfri from the company Klevgrand. I think it was around $50 and it's been absolutely stellar. I haven't used anything else for a couple of years, and that includes all types of noise cancellation, not just guitars.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MSpectralDynamics = Hum Killer 1 month 2 weeks ago #21748

Thank you both. I’ll definitely try out the PVNoNoise. I am also testing Brusfri. My initial experience was that there was a lot of high end being cut (the trade-off for noise suppression I suppose), but I’ll experiment further.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MSpectralDynamics = Hum Killer 1 month 2 weeks ago #21752

kierank wrote:

Thank you both. I’ll definitely try out the PVNoNoise. I am also testing Brusfri. My initial experience was that there was a lot of high end being cut (the trade-off for noise suppression I suppose), but I’ll experiment further.
Make sure you put PVNoNoise (now known simply as Noise Suppression) first, in your plugin chain. Yes, that's correct. Unlike a noise gate, it works before the amp sim.

My high-gain setup - a physical Tube Screamer pedal into my VST pedal chain,(2 OD plugins into high gain S-Gear) is quiet as a mouse with very little impact on tone. I still use S-Gear's noise gate for "handling noise".
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by johnm.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MSpectralDynamics = Hum Killer 1 month 2 weeks ago #21753

I've been using Vadim Taranov's free Noise Suppression plugin - aka PVNoNoise - for years with great results.
Thanks for this!
I just tried it out - and it works great - I didn't even need to change any settings.
As a matter of fact, I played with the settings and nothing much changed except when I raised the threshold really high.
I had it last in the chain - so I'll need to try it first ;)

I've always used the noise gates on S-Gear or <cough> any other amp sims - but this one doesn't seem to cut off the ends of notes and I didn't notice a tone change.
I only need it with some higher gain settings on some pedals - with my strat(s).
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MSpectralDynamics = Hum Killer 1 month 2 weeks ago #21754

jbraner wrote:

:lol: Well, you have me curious now - I'll have to try it last in the chain.

Glad it worked for you!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MSpectralDynamics = Hum Killer 1 month 2 weeks ago #21755

johnm wrote:

Make sure you put PVNoNoise (now known simply as Noise Suppression) first, in your plugin chain. Yes, that's correct. Unlike a noise gate, it works before the amp sim.

A noise gate works better before you compress and saturate. After the amp makes it more difficult for the gate to differentiate between noise and signal. Also in the digital realm processing doesn't usually add any noise, it just amplifies what is already on the input.
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MSpectralDynamics = Hum Killer 1 month 2 weeks ago #21756

johnm wrote:

jbraner wrote:

:lol: Well, you have me curious now - I'll have to try it last in the chain.

Glad it worked for you!

It seems the same before or after - so combined with what Mike just said, I'll leave it before everything. ;)
I'm going over to donate now...
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MSpectralDynamics = Hum Killer 1 month 2 weeks ago #21758

mike wrote:

johnm wrote:

A noise gate works better before you compress and saturate. After the amp makes it more difficult for the gate to differentiate between noise and signal. Also in the digital realm processing doesn't usually add any noise, it just amplifies what is already on the input.

Thanks for the info, Mike! Being old-school, I think of a noise-gate as a level-dependent on/off device or process, not an actual noise reducing thing.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MSpectralDynamics = Hum Killer 1 month 2 weeks ago #21759

johnm wrote:

mike wrote:

johnm wrote:

Thanks for the info, Mike! Being old-school, I think of a noise-gate as a level-dependent on/off device or process, not an actual noise reducing thing.

That's correct. A traditional gate will wait until the signal decays to a certain point, then gracefully cut-off or reduce the gain so the noise floor is 'gated'. This is why it is better to do this before the signal is compressed. If the noise level is brought up by compression (and a guitar amp will compress) then it is more difficult to gate the noise from the signal.

There are other techniques for noise reduction, some employ compression and expansion to effectively lower the noise floor in a noisy device. Other systems use dynamic filtering to suppress noise elements. I suspect that the plug-in in question uses something like the the latter. Perhaps it reduces the hum frequency from the level detection stage so that the hum frequency is only gated whilst there is no signal, or to some extent.
  • mike
  • Administrator
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by mike.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MSpectralDynamics = Hum Killer 1 month 2 weeks ago #21760

Of course we still need a gate (after the amp) for the noise that the *amp* produces ;)
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MSpectralDynamics = Hum Killer 1 month 2 weeks ago #21762

jbraner wrote:

Of course we still need a gate (after the amp) for the noise that the *amp* produces ;)

Not with digital amps. They don't generate any noise. They only amplify what's on the input.

But even with a real amp, a lot of the noise is amplified via the input. Obviously high gain settings will generate a lot of guassian noise in the circuitry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ryentzer
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MSpectralDynamics = Hum Killer 1 month 2 weeks ago #21769

johnm wrote:

I've been using Vadim Taranov's free Noise Suppression plugin - aka PVNoNoise - for years with great results.
Unfortunately Windows only from what I could see.

The Melda plugin does need to be constantly tweaked because I'm using analog pedals before the interface (no way around that). But when you get the threshold set right to avoid any artefacts it's perfect. It's still useful to have the S-Gear gate enabled on lower settings, as a second stage.

I can actually use the stacked settings in my Angry Driver pedal now, which were too noisey to be useable previously.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MSpectralDynamics = Hum Killer 1 month 2 weeks ago #21771

kierank wrote:

johnm wrote:

Unfortunately Windows only from what I could see.
Yes, that's correct. Sorry I neglected to mention that in the original post.(just corrected)

It's a shame, because it works so well. Here's hoping he releases a Mac version!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MSpectralDynamics = Hum Killer 1 month 2 weeks ago #21790

@kierank -- yes, I would like to check out your preset for the Melda plug. I'm experimenting with it now, also on a very noisy Strat. Have you have latency issues with the plug?
www.johnplainsong.com
Newest album "Strange Tales" now available! S-Gear used throughout the production.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MSpectralDynamics = Hum Killer 1 month 1 week ago #21791

soundog wrote:

@kierank -- yes, I would like to check out your preset for the Melda plug. I'm experimenting with it now, also on a very noisy Strat. Have you have latency issues with the plug?

Hopefully this works:
- Download and unzip
- In the Melda presets window, choose Import at the bottom
- Navigate to the folder you extracted to, and the preset 'Noise Gate' should appear on the right side of the import window.
- Select it and click Ok

After opening the preset:
- Turn the guitar volume to max. For me I usually play with the volume rolled back, so having it fully up is the most extreme (noisey) setting.
- If your input signal is low, the 'Temp Gain' knob can be used to internally raise the level used by the plugin (it is auto compensated at the output).
- Click the 'Capture' button at the top of the 'Analyzer & Equaliser' graph for 3 seconds or so and click it again to deactivate it.
- Turn the Gate Threshold knob, raising it until the noise is below the threshold.
- Lower your guitar volume to playing level.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: soundog
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by kierank.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MSpectralDynamics = Hum Killer 1 month 1 week ago #21796

OMG! That is indeed magical. I had never tried the "capture" feature, and it doesn't seem to degrade the guitar eq any. My input is silent even with a Fulltone '69 MkII stomp box in the path, with the knobs cranked!

I love Melda's plug-ins .... they aren't the prettiest plug-ins but they are often the most useful, and you can almost always find a solution to a problem. Thanks for taking the time to upload and type up some instructions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kierank
www.johnplainsong.com
Newest album "Strange Tales" now available! S-Gear used throughout the production.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MSpectralDynamics = Hum Killer 1 month 1 week ago #21799

Glad it worked for you! I don't do a lot of recording, but my thought was that if it works this well on the lowest quality setting, then the higher ones (quality and latency) have to be the business.

When trying different settings out I could still easily make it sound bad. Even the manual talks about the 'sounds from Mars' artefacts :) But when I get it right it made playing so much more enjoyable.

I'm waiting for its turn in their weekly 50% off list, and will hopefully talk myself into getting it.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MSpectralDynamics = Hum Killer 1 month 1 week ago #21807

I buy most plug-ins during discount specials, and load up during Black Friday sales. In case you didn't notice, Melda is coming out with a "light" version of MSpectralDynamics soon, so you might wanna demo it when it comes out and see if it will still work for you as a Strat-hum killer. Its priced at about 1/2 the full version. And a discounted version of that would be quite affordable!
www.johnplainsong.com
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds