TOPIC: Brothers drive pedal (analog with midi control)

Brothers drive pedal (analog with midi control) 1 month 2 weeks ago #21743

I'm a week into ownership of this pedal. I've been getting back into analog pedals lately, and this one was something I've wanted to try for a while. The review on That Pedal Show is probably the best one I came across.

It's the flexibility and integration with a digital setup that makes it so good (I actually really like the boost and drive tones too!). I can control individual knobs/switches using CC messages from my plugin host, or switch presets via program change messages. It would even work with S-Gear standalone if you routed the midi program messages from your foot controller also to the pedal - so you could switch presets on both S-Gear and the pedal at the same time. I might report back in a few weeks with an update.

Attachments:
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by kierank.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Brothers drive pedal (analog with midi control) 1 month 2 weeks ago #21747

This looks like a cool pedal - I saw the TPS video too ;)
It's expensive though.
Let us know how you make out...
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Brothers drive pedal (analog with midi control) 1 month 2 weeks ago #21749

jbraner wrote:

It's expensive though.
Yeah it was a definite stretch. I at least got it working with a cheap midi din to trs cable so didn’t have to also buy the midibox. There was very little info about whether the cable would work and I ended up getting sent the wrong one. But thankfully a little DIY on the cable and it’s all working.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Brothers drive pedal (analog with midi control) 1 month 2 weeks ago #21772

I can't help but think I'm getting a preview of what an S-Gear DriveThing could be. If we get this added I expect it would have different boost/drive types, and because S-Gear provides 2 instances of each rack device with the button to switch them from series to parallel, this would be the same amount of flexibility and control that I get from the Brothers.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Brothers drive pedal (analog with midi control) 1 month 2 weeks ago #21774

But I think th eanalog jfets/opamps etc are going to sound better! ;)
The downside is that the dirt is now "baked in" to your guitar signal and you can't change it later.
(this is what I'm going through at the moment...)
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Brothers drive pedal (analog with midi control) 1 month 2 weeks ago #21779

I briefly had a Lehle P-Split with the idea that one output would go straight into the interface, while the second would go through my external effects into the second interface input. I'm also wondering whether the same could be done with the IK Axe I/O and the 'Amp Out' (route this to external effects and back into the second input).

The only thing that made me return the Lehle was that when using a fuzz pedal on one of the splits, the guitar would still see the higher impedance of the side/split that went to the interface (well at least it sounded that way to me - losing some of its magic).
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by kierank.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Brothers drive pedal (analog with midi control) 1 month 2 weeks ago #21782

I use this one it it is very good too:
The following user(s) said Thank You: kierank
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Brothers drive pedal (analog with midi control) 2 weeks 3 days ago #21913

This is totally ridiculous, way too expensive, moving parts to break..... Why do I still want it?

• kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Brothers drive pedal (analog with midi control) 2 weeks 3 days ago #21914

These days I use aJHS Morning Glory V4 . It works very well with S Gear and its is very transparent. I find that S Gear do not need more than boost pedals . Not because the amps cannot have gain by themselves but more to add flexibility . With the Stealer I already have two amps. You add the two different gain stages of The Morning Glory and your volume tone and there you go....
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Brothers drive pedal (analog with midi control) 2 weeks 20 hours ago #21920

Thanks @fatherjacques. Strangely I've never taken a close look at the Morning Glory before. And I actually found a video of someone comparing the MG with the Brothers! Although the tones he was getting weren't really my thing.

Apart from when I specifically want all-out spitty fuzz, I'm with you and keep things in the boost and low gain OD territory. My justification for getting the Brothers is still very much centred on the flexibility and ability to control via midi. I'm going to spend some more time with the expression pedal input. At the moment I'm just using it to control the gain level, but there's a lot more creative things that could be done. Keeps me busy :)
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Brothers drive pedal (analog with midi control) 2 weeks 12 hours ago #21922

If you are looking for a pedal with midi integration here is the one I bought:

The following user(s) said Thank You: kierank
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone King
Last edit: 2 weeks 12 hours ago by fatherjacques.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.287 seconds