TOPIC: S-Gear + headphones

S-Gear + headphones 5 months 4 days ago #21776

Hello,

I'm in a situation where I use S-Gear with headphones. My experience is that compared to listening through speakers, listening through headphones can get a bit dry and in your face. I'm wondering if someone here in the forum could share how you use S-Gear with headphones? Do you add some reverb to get a roomy feeling? Maybe some EQ in your DAW?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear + headphones 5 months 4 days ago #21778

A lot of the factory presets use the excellent RoomThing reverb, and sound great with headphones. If you don't want to add reverb to each of your presets, then the easiest option is definitely using S-Gear in a DAW, where you can keep a dedicated reverb plugin after S-Gear (or a second instance of S-Gear with only RoomThing active).

Subtle stereo delay also works great with headphones. A reverb plugin I have also allows you to exaggerate the stereo width, which I quite like with headphones (it's very noticeable when you change it back to mono!).
The following user(s) said Thank You: cojoguitar, mattias
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 5 months 4 days ago by kierank.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear + headphones 5 months 4 days ago #21780

Those are some good suggestions. Which Reverb plugin in your DAW are you referencing?
  • ryentzer
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear + headphones 5 months 4 days ago #21781

ryentzer wrote:

Those are some good suggestions. Which Reverb plugin in your DAW are you referencing?

It was a Brainworx reverb:
www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/bx_rooms.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: ryentzer
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear + headphones 5 months 4 days ago #21783

kierank wrote:

A lot of the factory presets use the excellent RoomThing reverb, and sound great with headphones. If you don't want to add reverb to each of your presets, then the easiest option is definitely using S-Gear in a DAW, where you can keep a dedicated reverb plugin after S-Gear (or a second instance of S-Gear with only RoomThing active).

Subtle stereo delay also works great with headphones. A reverb plugin I have also allows you to exaggerate the stereo width, which I quite like with headphones (it's very noticeable when you change it back to mono!).

Thank you for your suggestions kierank. I have experimented with RoomThing and adding a subtle reverb using the Room 2 mode and I think it works quite good.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear + headphones 5 months 2 days ago #21792

Hi,

I´m just playing guitar for fun and I am definitely not a studio pro or anything like that, but I am also into Hifi/Head-Fi and have used a lot of headphones up to 1000€ until now. Some of these can really sound dry and a bit sterile. One of my personal favorites for years are the Beyerdynamic DT250 with 250 Ohm. Those are somehow really affordable (shure - that always depends on anyones financial situation) and the presentation throughout the whole frequency-range ist absolutely lovely. Great for Hifi, great for S-Gear in my personal opinion. These are a bit warm sounding and can present the dirt of a Marshall as well as Clean-Tones.

But it comes down to personal taste a lot - I, for example, absolutely hate the better known Beyerdynamic DT 770 because of the extreme scooped out mids and therefor lifeless sound (for things like Hifi - haven´t used these with S-Gear)...in my opinion and with my pair of these headphones I once had.

There are tons of great headphones out there and noone should think a high price always means high sound quality. Some of the nicest headphones I´ve got I got used in prestine condition for around 30 to 40€...sold a pair of 1000€ heaphones for one of these cheap but great things. And sorry, I can´t mention models, that might bump up prices ;-).
Last edit: 5 months 2 days ago by Hubert.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear + headphones 5 months 2 days ago #21793

Hi there. One piece of advice I will give you is try your headphones with different sources to see if what you're hearing in your recording projects is as good as it can be.
I'd been using my RME Multiface for many years, and was always pretty content with the sound in my AKG K240 DF cans. The AKG's need to be amplified, and so I used a dedicated Millenium (Thomann house brand) headphone amp to drive them. Then.. two months ago I bought an ALTO mixer as I wanted to start mixing out of the box. I thought I would need to continue using the Millenium, but I tried plugging directly into the desk..*#%!.. I was almost in tears at the jump in clarity. All this time I'd been so proud of my shitty headphone amp - thinking I was getting a great signal. I was so angry yet happy at the same time. You can have the world's best gear ahead of you, but if your last link is a poor final signal..
To answer your question, I now use the reverb in the mixer and real analogue eq. It's beautiful ;-)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear + headphones 5 months 2 days ago #21794

"And sorry, I can´t mention models, that might bump up prices"

I know Mike Scuffham himself posts on here, but I never knew George Soros was here, too.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear + headphones 5 months 1 day ago #21795

Hubert wrote:

Hi,
One of my personal favorites for years are the Beyerdynamic DT250 with 250 Ohm.

My first quality pair of headphones was the Beyerdynamic DT250 80ohm. I thought they were fantastic - so much detail I could hear in recordings versus the el cheapo ones I had used previously.

I used them for over 10 years until they literally started falling apart. I've had the DT990 Pro 250ohm for the last few years and really like them too.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear + headphones 4 months 4 weeks ago #21818

I've been using for quite some time now a Sony MDR7506. It's dry and harsh on the treble end, with not a lot of warm low end, but nice and detailed midrange. Recently I've discovered Sonarworks Reference, dSoniq Realphones and the one I'm using because it's the less CPU consuming of them, Waves NX. Those plugins "corrects" the phones response simulating a mixing room. Guitar sounds a lot warmer and fatter this way, much more like real studio monitors. Worth a try.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mattias
  • BrunoMariano
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.424 seconds