TOPIC: Extreme Volume Swings in Presets?

Extreme Volume Swings in Presets? 5 months 3 weeks ago #14640

O.K., so, I just bought S-Gear less than 24-hours ago, and I've clearly got loads to learn about it yet, but I was flipping through some of the presets here with headphones yesterday, rather uneventfully, and outta the blue, without altering a single settings on anything else, one of the presets dam-near blew my ear drums as soon I switched to it! Is this normal? Do (or should?) the volume or gain of the presets differ that widely?

I'm almost scared to evaluate any of the remaining presets without first removing the headphones before each change. Anyone know why this is happening? Thanx.
  • Wingnut
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Extreme Volume Swings in Presets? 5 months 3 weeks ago #14644

Hello,

May I ask what presets?

I have never had this issues before....
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Extreme Volume Swings in Presets? 5 months 3 weeks ago #14646

It never happened to me and I use S-Gear since its introduction.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Extreme Volume Swings in Presets? 5 months 3 weeks ago #14648

Thanks guys. To be honest, I didn't make note of the specific preset that it occurred on, and again, I'm still brand-new to this great plug-in, but I'll be using (and learning) it here more and more each day in the coming week or two, so I'll try to see if I can get it to repeat that same phenomenon. If so, I'll make note of the name or names of the specific preset (or presets) that occurs with and I'll follow-up with another posting. After looking it over briefly, I think it might have been Rockman-2012 (??), but for now, I'm just encouraged to hear that its not something that other users here are experiencing, and that's kinda what I figured. :thumbs up:

P.S. - O.K., so I've spent the last couple of hours fiddling with things here some more, and actually, I'm finding that there is indeed considerable variability to the overall volume output across numerous presets, particularly between Banks (i.e., Custom '57 vs. Jackal, etc.). Some appear to be related to the noise gate feature and its given settings in any one preset. However, I'm also finding that I have to significantly alter the volume and/or gain settings of the guitar itself, and/or the mixer, and/or the S-Gear input/output, just to maintain uniform signal input (and headphone volume), when switching from one preset to another. And in some cases, it involves diverse and rather dramatic adjustments. For example, I might be using a fairly mild Custom '57 preset like 051 Deluxe Clean, with optimized gain and volume, but if I then switch to something like Rockman-2012 (067), the overall volume seems to almost triple! I don't know? Perhaps this is normal behavior that I simply need to adjust to?
  • Wingnut
  • Tone Star
Last Edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by Wingnut.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Extreme Volume Swings in Presets? 5 months 3 weeks ago #14652

Nothing wrong there. Simply adjust the output volume to your needs.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Extreme Volume Swings in Presets? 5 months 3 weeks ago #14653

I agree - just pick the ones you like best, tweak them, and save them in the user bank. :)
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Extreme Volume Swings in Presets? 5 months 3 weeks ago #14654

Al-righty-then! That's what I'll plan on doing!

However, since it appears that this 'volume surge' behavior is completely normal and relatively 'expected' by experienced users, my question for others here would be this . . . when switching on-the-fly between presets of widely differing output volumes, aren't those of you that are using speakers (rather than headphones), experiencing some rather sudden and unexpected bumps in the overall room volume? Or are you typically backing-off the input volume or gain (guitar and/or interface) before actually switching?

On my system, I would have to literally back-off the volume or gain on either the guitar and/or the mixer, between each and every switch of a preset, or I'd risk a potentially deafening and unexpected increase in overall volume, depending on the specific preset. I gave some examples above, and I suppose I'll learn which ones to be leery of over time, but is that what most of you are doing to avoid this issue? I don't know? Its almost like I need some sort of a 'volume leveling' device.

Anyway, sorry for my ignorance on this, but thanks again to all who have responded!
  • Wingnut
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Extreme Volume Swings in Presets? 5 months 3 weeks ago #14655

When you save the adjusted input and output volumes in a preset they change when you change the preset.
  • rose703
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wingnut

Extreme Volume Swings in Presets? 5 months 3 weeks ago #14656

rose703 wrote:
When you save the adjusted input and output volumes in a preset they change when you change the preset.

BINGO! We have a winner. Now-w-w-w, its startin' to make some sense . . . "pounds, shillings and pence"! Its too early for me yet to have even tried saving any altered presets, but that makes perfect sense. Many thanks rose703! :thumbs up:
  • Wingnut
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Extreme Volume Swings in Presets? 5 months 3 weeks ago #14657

No problem. I used to add gain with my audio interface as well. Then i tried a tube screamer plug in and or a real pedal. Sounds way better.
  • rose703
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Extreme Volume Swings in Presets? 5 months 3 weeks ago #14658

XLNT! I never even thought of using an actual pedal in front of a plug-in, but that goes to show how little experience I have with this stuff. I tried Waves/GTR3 for a bit, back in 2010-11?, but I never bonded with it, so I've got loads to learn yet, and that's the fun of it.
  • Wingnut
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Extreme Volume Swings in Presets? 5 months 3 weeks ago #14661

The factory presets are intended to show a wide range of capabilities and tones. They are not designed for direct performance use. So wide volume swings would be expected in order to show what is available.

You should create your own user presets, perhaps using the factory presets as a guide, and then level them for your particular purposes. This could be for different songs, different music styles, or different tone options within a song. Volume leveling in this context depends on your needs. You can use the output level meter to help set the volume levels. Use the level control for this, and the Output control for adjusting S-Gear for your computer and interface needs.
  • jamsden
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wingnut

Extreme Volume Swings in Presets? 3 months 2 weeks ago #14965

All good points. I'd also suggest to test and set your gain staging first, before you start to set levels. So make sure your guitar, wireless if you have it, and interface are tested with your guitar turned up to 10, on your loudest pickup setting (i.e. neck humbucker). I increase until it barely clips then back off a bit, maybe 3 db or so to be safe. the idea is that you never want digital clipping to occur, so it should never go in the red. If you have software that came with your interface that can monitor input signal strength AT your interface input, use that, or some other metering that is often found in your vst host or daw. Once that's set you shouldn't have to change it, and now you can set all your your levels in the sim. BTW I never found an ear splitting difference, but as others said it's not an issue, adjust and save.

Defintiely try a TS plugin as Jamsden said, or a pedal in front of S gear... a clean boost pedal works well, I have a Fulltone FullDrive2 that is awesome. Also read up on buffered vs non buffered pedals and DI's. Depending on your interface's hi z input impedance a pedal can make a noticeable difference.

Example: After using S Gear on gigs for almost a year, I recently decided to spend some serious time to dig into my system and improve it where possible. Initially I'd done tests but had jumped into gigning with it so fast I never ran complete, detailed tests. My first easy improvement was my Fender FWG1010 wireless unit, which has an unbalanced 1/4" output, which I've been using all along, and also an balanced XLR output. I read up more on the specs of the XLR output... it's mic level. Hmmmm. Then in doing careful recording tests I determined that the XLR was much better, since it was sending mic level into my Scarlett 2i4 interface. Even though the Scarlett has 1 Mega ohm hi z input on the 1/4" (which is what you want for S Gear to sound best), and I'd been using that and it sounded really good, I found the Scarlett and S Gear really like the XLR mic level better, and I got a slightly more open high end tone, it added a little "air" at around 8-10K hz. This is similar to what a DI box does, although I'm looking at trying a Radial 48 DI too.

Have fun, it's a game changer app!
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by gearhead001.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds