TOPIC: Tap Tempo with Midi Footcontroller

Tap Tempo with Midi Footcontroller 2 months 3 weeks ago #18506

Has anyone had any success using a Midi controller to get tap tempo to work?

My (non-programable) midi controller send CC 68 on Channel 3 with a value of 127 each time the "Tap" button is pressed on the controller. I have not been able to use it to set the tempo of the delay using Tap Tempo. I have tried using the extensive midi control in Reaper to "translate" the message, but I am not sure what Tap Tempo expects as a Midi message.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • politicalEconomist
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Tap Tempo with Midi Footcontroller 2 months 3 weeks ago #18508

Hi there,

It does work, I checked it this morning.

S-GEAR expects a momentary midi message, so it is important that the controller sends '127', followed by '0'.

Cheers,
Mike
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Tap Tempo with Midi Footcontroller 2 months 3 weeks ago #18509

Thanks Mike. That helps.

Can you verify which parameter in S-Gear I should be sending the momentary message to?

My Controller is non-programable, but I think I can make this happen in Reaper using some of the midi scripting. Its good to know what S-Gear expects.

Anyone out there using Reaper with S-Gear have an idea of how to convert my midi controllers "127" into a "momentary midi message" of "127 followed by 0". I can't seem to find that particular description used anywhere on the Reaper Forums.

Thanks.
  • politicalEconomist
  • Tone Star
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by politicalEconomist.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Tap Tempo with Midi Footcontroller 2 months 3 weeks ago #18511

I hadn't used tap tempo for DelayThing previously, so you can take my advice with a grain of salt...

My FCB1010 foot controller was just sending out a CC with value of 127 only, and DelayThing was correctly picking up my tapped tempo (I had the metronome going in Reaper to test my timing).

The few things to check with your setup:
- S-Gear 'Config' settings: you have Midi Channel set to 'omni'.
- S-Gear 'Midi' settings: you have added a parameter for 'Delay Tap Time' and set to CC 68. Also make sure the 'ON' label is showing to the far left of the mapping (I often forget this).

Failing that, check that the midi receive light is flashing in S-Gear to confirm it is actually receiving the midi message from your controller. I also often use the midi activity log in ReaControlMidi to monitor the midi messages on a track.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Tap Tempo with Midi Footcontroller 2 months 3 weeks ago #18512

kierank wrote:

My FCB1010 foot controller was just sending out a CC with value of 127 only, and DelayThing was correctly picking up my tapped tempo (I had the metronome going in Reaper to test my timing).

This might well be the case since most probably S-GEAR is responding to the initial 'on' (or 127) midi message. So politicalEconomist, definitely worth checking the configuration settings as suggested.

Mike
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Tap Tempo with Midi Footcontroller 2 months 3 weeks ago #18513

kierank wrote:

- S-Gear 'Midi' settings: you have added a parameter for 'Delay Tap Time' and set to CC 68. Also make sure the 'ON' label is showing to the far left of the mapping (I often forget this).

OK! Progress. I have it working in standalone mode.

However, when I open it as a plugin in Reaper it does not work. So I tried to set things using Reaper's midi mapping with ReaLearn. The parameter Delay Tap Time does not show up in the Param list for S-Gear. I also can't use the last touched feature to use ReaLearn to target the Delay Tap Time parameter because S-Gear is constantly saying that something called [Cents] is the last touched parameter. Not sure if this issue is related but If you run an OSC monitor you can see that S-Gear is constantly sending out last touched messages over and over like this. It fills the log screen as soon as you open the OSC monitor. You can't see any other messages because they are swamped by the ones coming from S-Gear
[OSC input] /fxparam/last_touched/name [s] VU InL
[OSC input] /fxparam/last_touched/name [s] VU InR
[OSC input] /fxparam/last_touched/name [s] VU OutL
[OSC input] /fxparam/last_touched/name [s] VU OutR
[OSC input] /fxparam/last_touched/name [s] VU AmpA
[OSC input] /fxparam/last_touched/name [s] VU AmpB
[OSC input] /fxparam/last_touched/value [f] 1.000000
[OSC input] /fxparam/last_touched/value/str [s] 1.0000
[OSC input] /fxparam/last_touched/name [s] Gate
[OSC input] /fxparam/last_touched/value [f] 0.000000
[OSC input] /fxparam/last_touched/value/str [s] 0.0000
[OSC input] /fxparam/last_touched/name [s] Note
[OSC input] /fxparam/last_touched/value [f] 0.100000
[OSC input] /fxparam/last_touched/value/str [s] 0.1000
[OSC input] /fxparam/last_touched/name [s] Cents
  • politicalEconomist
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Tap Tempo with Midi Footcontroller 2 months 3 weeks ago #18518

If it worked in S-Gear standalone it should work the same in Reaper. However use the AU version of the S-Gear plugin, which has the same midi mapping options as standalone. The VST3 version doesn't allow internal midi mapping, and I don't know if there is a way to control tap tempo as this isn't a parameter exposed by the VST3 version.
The following user(s) said Thank You: politicalEconomist
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Tap Tempo with Midi Footcontroller 2 months 3 weeks ago #18519

Hmmmm. Thats interesting. Thanks for the clarification.

I wonder why the existing Midi mapping works for AU and not VST3. I also wonder why the midid parameters exposed in standalone are not available to Reaper.

I was able to determine that you may in theory be able to map to tap tempo with the VST3 version. If I put S-Gear in bypass the non-stop "last touched" OSC messages stop and when I click on the Tap Tempo button I get this in my OSC monitor:
[OSC input] /fxparam/last_touched/value [f] 1.000000
[OSC input] /fxparam/last_touched/value/str [s] 1.0000
[OSC input] /fxparam/last_touched/name [s] - 

So I may be able to map it using trial and error to check all of the parameters listed as "-" in ReaLearn which seems to show every parameter "slot" (see the attached image).

Are there any drawbacks from using AU? I always assumed that VST3 was the best option when available because it is the most "recent" technology.
  • politicalEconomist
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.343 seconds