TOPIC: What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 weeks 5 days ago #16125

OK so my wish list is

As per many people a Drive thing with boost, OD, dist, Fuzz , things like ep boost, tc spark, OD1, Tube screamer, DS1, OCD, Metal Muff, HM2, heck even dare I say it a metal zone lol

For me that should be the first port of call as it enable many of the current amps to be driven to hi gain territory.

Having some compression options would be good, along with wah, tremolo, phaser, univibe, rotary drum., pitch shifter etc as basics before the silly effects get in.

Delay wise analog, tube, modulation, digital, reverse options

Amps just a few hi gain options , don't think it needs loads just say 2 hi gain, one American based say 6505+ or Messa tri rec and one more UK based say Marshall JVM410 or hot rodded JCM900 or even Blackstar maybe.

The ability to have two amps and blend the tone would be really useful.

Other than that its pretty great as is, but those things in 3.0 would be a real game changer and put it up there with Bias, amplitube etc for general usability.
  • deko666
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 weeks 5 days ago #16132

The thing is - there are already loads of great plugins for these things.

For TS distortion, this one is hard to beat (The Scream) cytomic.com/#plugins
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 weeks 5 days ago #16135

I agree with you. So many to choose from.

Since I do not use Amplitube 4 for amps I made some presets with effects only. The WAMPLER PINACLE in fron of The Stealer or Wayferer is MY SOUND. Especially with the Stealer where I can get a PETE THORN type of sound. ( PT100 or a SL68)

It is easy when you have a DAW or Mainstage. However may be we need it for the Stand alone version.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 weeks 5 days ago #16136

I agree. There are already many free and/or paid distortion stomp effects out there that are excellent
  • Psace
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 weeks 5 days ago #16139

jamsden wrote:
One thing that might be missed in digital circuit design is variability. Two different instances of the same amp model built at the same time by the same people in the same factory will sound different due to variations in the components. That could be simulated in digital circuit designs to by adding some random variation to the component models. Don't know if anyone does this.

Not in amp sims, but Plugin Aliiance's implement it in a Neve emulation (bx_console)

Also, Cytomic allows to alter component values in its Tubescreamer emulation

About circuit emulation v/s blackbox, clearly circuit emu has the upper hand. Every developer that follows that approach has highly sought and loved plugins (Scuffham himself, Cytomic, Mercuriall, I think Brainworkx also does it, not sure about Airwindows, because Chris is really a player on its own game, doing crazy stuff using his own techniques).
Last Edit: 3 weeks 5 days ago by gv.lazcano.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 weeks 1 day ago #16159

jbraner wrote:

You were right. Very good one. You can change a lot of things inside :-)

Jacques
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 weeks 19 hours ago #16160

Yes there are for VST but in standalone which is how I often use it for ideas and also giving guitar lessons it would seem sensible to include a drive thing section. That and more routing options such as dual amps for blending tones and a few more FX would put it up there with the other standalones.

Be interesting to see how Helix native pans out when its released later this year.
  • deko666
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 weeks 10 hours ago #16162

I am new here, so first of all I would like to say hello! I bought S-Gear after trying almost every single amp sim on the market. Its Stealer blows me away. I did not find anything better in terms of feeling, dynamics, feedback and sound. Considering wishlist, I would propose that good addition to S-Gear would be bundle of pedals: Tube screamer, DS1, Klon Centaur, Univibe...

Cheers.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 10 hours ago by MonkeyGoesNowhere.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 weeks 5 days ago #16177

jbraner wrote:

True, but why would that have to preclude there being a bunch of them in S-Gear?

If you're using S-Gear as a one stop shop solution for live and studio playing, it makes sense to have stomp boxes and two different amp/channel paths for clean and overdriven/distorted amp switching with separate post effects for both (for delay spillover as well as separate effect line ups). If you'd have to put other effect sims in front of or behind S-Gear, things would get needlessly complicated. Users who put their own real stomp boxes in front of their audio interface can still do so, I'm merely talking about those people who want an all-in-one plugin solution. Sure, there are plenty of other amp/effects sims out there, but we're here because we love S-Gear, right? So it makes sense that different people want different things from it, and some would want it to be able to do everything inside the plugin, also because it offers vast MIDI controllability options. I think that makes sense.

I'm not a big fan of Amplitube's take on amp sims since discovering S-Gear and Bias FX, but their pre and post effects sections (and variety of their effects options), as well as the routing options and massive and easy to implement MIDI contol parameters (not to mention v.4 added an 'amp effects loop' option, putting effects between the 'preamp' and the 'power amp' sections of their modelled amps make for an unparalleled flexible and powerful amp sim package.

S-Gear is in Amplitube's ball park in some of these areas, but if it could offer most of that (while nice to have the option, the 'amp effects loop' section is not absolutely essential, even if it does add simulated tube amp warmth to the effects you put in there, for example.), I would think it'd give Amplitube a real run for its money. You can always add more amps as time goes on, but expanded flexibility as well as added pre and post effects would be a nice addition for v.3.0 in my opinion, whatever it is worth anyway...
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 weeks 3 days ago #16187

Hey! Since Nashville NAMM is this week, we can expect any major S-gear update?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: rose703

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 1 week 3 days ago #16229

i would like a Hi switch ( off ) on wayfarer to be able to turn off the bright bypass capacitor. You can lower input and put gain past 6 or so but it would make gain staging easier when less treble needed. I would also like the sims to be able to feedback like a cranked amp in the room. That would be awesome.

I'm still on an older version and missing all the tasty IR updates Mike has made so forgive me if this suggestion is already in place but…. i've no doubt the proconvolver's RW measured impedance curves are bang on, but i don't fell they translate to the actual eq effect needed to change solid state IR's into tube ones when comparing the same IR mic placement done with a tube power amp and with a solid state amp. I've compared a few of these like for like. e.g. the matching solid state and tube twin reverb IR's by 3sigmaaudio can be completely phase cancelled by duplicating the channel / track - One channel has the SSIR on it, the other the tube IR and after inverting the phase on one channel, using a separate eq plugin to add 6 db band eq gain with a narrowish Q on the SSIR track to match the tube IR by maintaining same peak channel levels . The thing is, the C12K's in the twin reverb cab used have a low resonant peak of ~ 105 hz or so but the phase cancellation comes in at exactly 75 Hz ( via the 6 db band boost there )… 4 x 12 cabs have a more scooped response so when trying to match a solid state to tube IR the SSIR also needed a high shelf boost ( in addition to the low resonant peak boost ). I also compared my tube amps - cabs - sm 57 to the same / similar sims + SSIR and found the same trend - a 6 db boost at 75 hz brought the larger frame cab SSIR's more in line with the balance of them after matching amp eq. The 1 x 12 SSIR i tried ( s-gears ev12l 1 x 12 ) needed much less or maybe no eq ? (i forget ) to match my tube amps small frame 1 x 12 cab ( boogie 1 x 12 with ev12l ) as these ( especially small frame ones ) are far more mid focused with less lows but maybe the SSIR was the larger frame 1 x 12 ?

The final frequency / eq effect of speaker impedance with tube power amps in situ appears to be altered from that produced by adding in a portion of the measured curves to the IR. The high curve ( higher frequencies with less energy ) being attenuated to the point of having no effect in some cases ( e.g. the 2 x 12 twin reverb i mentioned ) and the low resonant peak coming in around 75 hz despite different speaker resonant frequency ratings to this. In the case of the twins C12k's, the ' speaker in cab resonant peak ' effectively sliding down to the same region as e.g. a G12 greenback's. Maybe these effects are due to the different cab sizes and their resonance interacting with the speakers tube impedance curve ?. It would be cool if this could be incorporated into S-gear 3 by e.g. 1 x 12, 2 x 12 and 4 x 12 eq's in the proconvolver but it can be done already with an additional preset utility eq plugin which allows me to get the balance i'm after from the SSIR's included.

cheers.
Last Edit: 1 week 2 days ago by hermitcrab.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 1 week 2 days ago #16240

One thing I am missing in S-Gear over AxeFx (from which I have happily moved to S-Gear) is possibility to control parameters with input pitch. That means the parameters such as gain, delay mix, corrections etc. can be automatically controlled by the tone you play on the guitar (range between lowest and highest tone and parameter value range that you set). This has huge potential for guitarists playing rhytm and lead back and forth, not having to switch the presets as it adopts to what is actually played. For example, my hybrid sound is set-up like this: when I play power chords, delay is zero (or close to) and the gain is lower. When I play solo, the delay comes in and gain and Hi cut-off increases smoothly.

I achieve this today by couple of trird party plugins looping back midi into S-Gear, so I'm quite ok but I was thinking maybe that's nice potential to support this natively in v3 or higher.
  • Morgul
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 1 week 1 day ago #16251

hermitcrab wrote:
i've no doubt the proconvolver's RW measured impedance curves are bang on, but i don't fell they translate to the actual eq effect needed to change solid state IR's into tube ones when comparing the same IR mic placement done with a tube power amp and with a solid state amp. I've compared a few of these like for like. e.g. the matching solid state and tube twin reverb IR's by 3sigmaaudio can be completely phase cancelled by duplicating the channel / track - One channel has the SSIR on it, the other the tube IR and after inverting the phase on one channel, using a separate eq plugin to add 6 db band eq gain with a narrowish Q on the SSIR track to match the tube IR by maintaining same peak channel levels . The thing is, the C12K's in the twin reverb cab used have a low resonant peak of ~ 105 hz or so but the phase cancellation comes in at exactly 75 Hz ( via the 6 db band boost there )… 4 x 12 cabs have a more scooped response so when trying to match a solid state to tube IR the SSIR also needed a high shelf boost ( in addition to the low resonant peak boost ). I also compared my tube amps - cabs - sm 57 to the same / similar sims + SSIR and found the same trend - a 6 db boost at 75 hz brought the larger frame cab SSIR's more in line with the balance of them after matching amp eq. The 1 x 12 SSIR i tried ( s-gears ev12l 1 x 12 ) needed much less or maybe no eq ? (i forget ) to match my tube amps small frame 1 x 12 cab ( boogie 1 x 12 with ev12l ) as these ( especially small frame ones ) are far more mid focused with less lows but maybe the SSIR was the larger frame 1 x 12 ?

The final frequency / eq effect of speaker impedance with tube power amps in situ appears to be altered from that produced by adding in a portion of the measured curves to the IR. The high curve ( higher frequencies with less energy ) being attenuated to the point of having no effect in some cases ( e.g. the 2 x 12 twin reverb i mentioned ) and the low resonant peak coming in around 75 hz despite different speaker resonant frequency ratings to this. In the case of the twins C12k's, the ' speaker in cab resonant peak ' effectively sliding down to the same region as e.g. a G12 greenback's. Maybe these effects are due to the different cab sizes and their resonance interacting with the speakers tube impedance curve ?. It would be cool if this could be incorporated into S-gear 3 by e.g. 1 x 12, 2 x 12 and 4 x 12 eq's in the proconvolver but it can be done already with an additional preset utility eq plugin which allows me to get the balance i'm after from the SSIR's included.

If IR's have been measured using a guitar amp power section then there are additional factors coming into play, which may already be modelled in S-GEAR's power amp stage. Presence effect in the negative feedback for one. Possibly more dramatic would be the impact of the power stage non-linearity on the frequency response measured. Furthermore a static IR would only capture a snapshot of what the tube power amp is adding.

Alteration of the impedance curve depending on the type of cabinet is an interesting suggestion. Actually this is something I have been considering as part of a larger piece of work on improvements to the S-GEAR power stage modelling.

Cheers,
Mike
  • mike
  • Administrator
Last Edit: 1 week 1 day ago by mike.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: Studiostriver, hermitcrab, ryentzer
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds