TOPIC: Performance View for Reaper

Performance View for Reaper 9 months 3 weeks ago #16951

Hi All. A few weeks ago I started playing around with scripting in Reaper, and had an idea for a performance view, similar to one I'd seen on a hardware modeller.

Long story short, I have attached the script for any Reaper user who would like to try it.
sgear_viewer_2017-09-25.png

It displays the S-Gear rack devices on the current preset, and whether they are active/bypassed. The only interaction you have is that you can toggle the active/bypass state for the rack device by clicking on it. Clicking on the Amp A/B box will toggle between the two amps. The window can also be docked in Reaper.

I did build in support for showing other VSTs on the same track that are before S-Gear (sorry no post-fx support yet). However in order for the VST to show up you will need to do a small edit to the script and add in the details of the VST, and the short display name and colour you would like to use. I have put comments in the script to explain this. Some default ones included already are the new Kuassa OD and FZ VSTs.

Some areas that need doing/improving:
- It needs wrapping added. At the moment, the rack devices will go off screen if they exceed the window width.
- Post S-Gear VSTs.
- Ability to change the amp controls. [Done]
- **Preset number/name**. This is a big one but I don't think I can retrieve this using the standard VST parameters for S-Gear, unfortunately. [Workaround in progress]

Installation:
- Save the script file "S-Gear Viewer.lua" somewhere where Reaper can access it. Reaper does have a default folder, which for me is C:\Documents and Settings\<<user>>\Application Data\REAPER\Scripts
- Load up a Reaper project with S-Gear on a track.
- In Reaper, use the "Actions" menu and choose "Show action list..."
- On the right, beside "ReaScript" is a "Load..." button. This will allow you to navigate to where you saved the script.
- After that, the script will show up in the list of actions. Select it and click "Run".
- If you have also installed the great Reaper "SWS Extension", it adds options to set a script to load by default when you open the project.

Please list any suggestions/issues you have.

EDIT: LATEST SCREENSHOT AND DOWNLOAD LINK.

Download script

S-GearViewer.png
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
Last Edit: 1 week 2 days ago by kierank.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike, NightWalker, ivygrace, asintoras

Performance View for Reaper 9 months 3 weeks ago #16979

Just made a small visual change to the amp controls. Link above updated.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: NightWalker

Performance View for Reaper 9 months 2 weeks ago #17030

The amp controls are now editable. There was a bit of guesswork involved but dragging on the control up and down seems to work pretty well.

Few bugs found and fixed.

I also think I have a way forward with showing/navigating presets, so that's next!
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Performance View for Reaper 9 months 2 weeks ago #17031

kierank wrote:
The amp controls are now editable. There was a bit of guesswork involved but dragging on the control up and down seems to work pretty well.

Few bugs found and fixed.

I also think I have a way forward with showing/navigating presets, so that's next!

Thanks for posting kierank. I've often wondered what can be done with Reaper scripting, so it's interesting to see your progress.

Cheers,
Mike
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: kierank

Performance View for Reaper 9 months 2 weeks ago #17037

Thanks for the encouragement Mike :thumbs up: (question for you below)

Here's a preview of the added preset viewing/control.

sgear_viewer_preview.png

As I mentioned, I can't directly access S-Gear's presets, but a useful workaround is adding the inbuilt plugin ReaControlMidi on the track prior to S-gear. So my script can control this plugin, and then it sends the program changes to S-gear.

It also has the option of loading in a text file that contains the names of the banks and presets. So if you're motivated enough, you can load in your preset names.

Mike: this plugin uses a special VST extension that allows for the preset names to be exposed via the standard VST parameters, meaning I can easily access them in my script. It would be amazing if S-gear could incorporate this to eliminate any manual workarounds. I think this is the relevant reference: www.reaper.fm/sdk/vst/vst_ext.php

Thanks!

EDIT: looking at some other plugins it must be a standard VST feature to be able to include a named parameter value along with the numerical value e.g. The Kuassa overdrive plugin exposes the name of the selected drive type. If it's possible for S-gear to do this for a preset parameter that would be great!
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
Last Edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by kierank.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike

Performance View for Reaper 8 months 1 week ago #17368

I've slowly been chipping away at some of the ideas I had for this.

sgear_viewer.png

Probably the best outcome was a way to change presets both via the UI and my FCB1010. I have been able to do this using 2 midi-based plugins prior to S-Gear. The first is a great thid-party Reaper-only plugin called ReaLearn. The second was the included ReaControlMidi I previously mentioned. ReLearn sends the program change messages from the FCB1010 to ReaControlMidi, and also converts my preset up/down controller messages into program change up/down. ReaControlMidi is then what actually sends those program changes to S-Gear.

As I can't read preset names from S-Gear, I also looked at reading the S-Gear included cabs and showing those in the preset title as a substitute. I don't actually mind this as my preset names were often just the amp and cab names anyway.

The Reaper metronome, play and stop are there to encourage me to use the metronome more when I'm practicing (noodling) ;)

The icon in the top-right stops/pauses the Reaper audio engine, which I often use when I take a break. I also added wrapping for the vst/rack items and some basic zoom in/out for the window.

Initially there was some decent cpu usage, but it was the constant re-drawing of the UI, so I am now only re-drawing when needed (e.g. when a parameter is clicked/changes) so CPU is negligible now.

It's not quite done but will happy to share the script once completed.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Performance View for Reaper 8 months 6 days ago #17394

Thanks for the nice work!
I have reaper and a FCB1010 as well and will certainly give it try once ready. :good job:
  • hkwijhe
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Performance View for Reaper 7 months 3 days ago #17533

I'll upload the latest script this weekend hopefully. I've added some features to make it more useful, the main one being you can right click on the VST/FX boxes and view/edit the parameters - see screenshot. I plan to do the same for the S-gear rack devices.

It will also now automatically display and VST/FX prior to S-gear. You only need to edit the script if you want to give it a custom name or colour.

I've also added an icon for the tuner which will display S-gear and activate the tuner.

One stretch goal is to turn one switch on my foot controller into a selector for the on screen amp controls (e.g. each press will step through the controls for gain, bass etc) and then the expression pedal will change that control.

sgear_viewer_2017-12-13.png
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
Last Edit: 7 months 3 days ago by kierank.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Performance View for Reaper 6 months 4 weeks ago #17549

Hi All. Latest script can be downloaded here.

I'm really keen to hear your feedback so please give it a try! It should work the same in Reaper Win or Mac.

I've really liked interacting with S-gear in this simplified interface. And also having easy access to any FX placed prior to S-gear. I think it makes me use my ears a lot more when editing, rather than my eyes, if that makes sense.

It also scales up to large screens pretty nicely.

The download includes some instructions. But let me know if you have any issues/questions.

Thanks.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
Last Edit: 1 week 2 days ago by kierank.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: klinge

Performance View for Reaper 6 months 3 weeks ago #17558

Bug fixed that was causing the Gain control to become stuck. Link above updated.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Performance View for Reaper 6 months 2 weeks ago #17614

I bought this cool app on sale today: Duet Display, which extends your Mac/Windows display onto your iPhone/iPad - treating it as an additional display. This is high resolution, so it must be connected via lightning cable.

So after installing/connecting and loading up Reaper, I was able to display my S-Gear app on my iPhone and easily control S-Gear! Even the click and hold to bring up the right-click window to edit the FX/S-Gear rack effect parameters worked well.

I could only fit one row of the FX/rack items at the bottom, so now I really wish I had an iPad!

BTW, I'm currently working on a new feature for 'Scenes' which is coming along really well. It will allow 5 scenes per preset to quickly switch between different sets of parameters e.g. Scene 1 could be Amp A, Cab 1 and with all effects off; Scene 2 could be Amp A with DelayThing and RoomThing switched on; Scene 3 could be Amp B with only Cab 2 etc. I've also got the 5 scenes controlled by the bottom row of foot switches on my FCB1010. More to come later.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
Last Edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by kierank.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Performance View for Reaper 6 months 1 week ago #17628

Below is a look at the new 'Snapshots' feature I'm adding in. Most of you may be aware of how they work - basically a preset within a preset. Each Snapshot (up to 5, which can be named) saves the S-Gear and rack FX settings, and can be used extremely flexibly e.g. to turn multiple rack FX on/off at the same time, to switch Amp A/B and also which cab is muted/active, or just to alter a few amp settings like gain or amp drive.

One of the great things about using snapshots to bypass the FX racks is being able to use S-Gear's 'Stage 1' bypass feature - which allows the RoomThing, ModThing and DelayThing decays/trails to continue into the next snapshot. I've also found some great options like increasing the mix or decay on Delay/Room Thing on the *bypassed* snapshot, which means that although the snapshot bypasses the FX, it causes the decays/trails from the prior snapshot to be more pronouced - very cool.

The other feature is 2 assignable controllers per snapshot. For example, in the 'Clean' snapshot the controllers are for the RoomThing Mix and Wayfarer Tremolo Intensity, but in the 'Crunch' snapshot they are assigned to Gain and Amp Drive. I designed this to fit nicely with my FCB1010 foot controller - 5 snapshots contolled by the bottom 5 switches, and the 2 controllers by the expression pedals. I've got this working using an extra instance of the ReaControlMIDI plugin prior to S-Gear. This setup is extremely flexible - so much better than assigning switches or pedals to single S-Gear parameters.

sgear_viewer_snapshots.png

The snapshot settings are saved to an external CSV file (in the same folder as the script). I've got a bit of tidying up to do and some more work around saving and options to retain or discard changes when you switch between snapshots. I'm also thinking about 'soft takeover' on the assignable controllers as you go from one snapshot to another.

Anyway - this has all given me a new appreciation of S-Gear. And also how I can now do so much more all within a single preset!
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
Last Edit: 6 months 1 week ago by kierank.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike, ivygrace, klinge

Performance View for Reaper 6 months 6 days ago #17650

Looks really awesome. Some amazing scripting you are doing there kierank!!

Whenever you feel ready to share something I am interested in looking at it :)
  • klinge
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Performance View for Reaper 6 months 4 days ago #17680

I installed a demo version of Reaper yesterday just to try out your performance view. i can confirm that i got it up and running without much trouble. Provided instructions work well.

Next step for me would be to see if I can manage to map S-Gear and other plugin controls to a controller/control surface. I never used Reaper before but so I'm a complete newbie..

My main goal is not recording/mixing but just to play the guitar live with some plugins and S-Gear. I used the free version of Cantabile before. Love Cantabile - but the free version is limited when it comes to routing midi from a controller to plugins. And since many plugins don't support "internal" midi learn for controlling parameters I'm looking for something with better midi routing support now. Reaper seems like a promising software for this - maybe a bit overkill but still fairly lightweight and very configurable.

I'm also a bit undecided if I like the "bank/patch" way of selecting patches. I have quite a few user-patches that I have not placed in banks and would like a way of accessing these as well. Of course that could be solved by organizing them into the existing banks..
  • klinge
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Performance View for Reaper 6 months 2 days ago #17691

Thanks klinge for trying out the script.

A good place to start with midi mapping is the ReaLearn plugin I linked to in the script instructions. You can easily add multiple mappings where you choose your source midi CC number and then the destination plugin and parameter via drop down menus. These mappings can then be saved as a preset so you can easily use them across different Reaper projects.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
The following user(s) said Thank You: klinge

Performance View for Reaper 5 months 3 weeks ago #17730

Thanks, now I'm starting to get around in Reaper. And mapping midi cc is really easy with the ReaLearn plugin. A few questions:

I just noticed that when enabling the tuner from your performance view getting back to the original state does not work. Is this something in my setup or is it a bug?

Another thing, I run a few plugins that have no bypass function in the plugin - so the only way would be to disable them in the Reaper plugin chain. Do you know any good way of doing this via midi cc - I don't find any.

Lastly, do you have any suggestion on when to use SWS Live configs vs Snapshots? Or is there any chance we will see the update to your performance view with built-in snapshots?? :)
  • klinge
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Performance View for Reaper 5 months 2 weeks ago #17734

WOW!

Can't believe I missed this! Incredible work you're doing Kierank (in a much-needed area)! You're on to something killer here & need some more credit for what you're doing! Huge props to you Kierank!

Please keep going I love where you're going with this. As a fellow reaper user, from what you have shown I see many solutions to sgears control options now.

Hope Mike is taking a close look at this. A dedicated sgear footboard connected to this concept would be epic. I'm assuming many hate midi programming as much as me lol. Would be a god send!

I used to have a Behrigner FCB1010. I found it too big want something a little more compact and definitely sexier looking than the FCB1010.
Last Edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by ivygrace.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Performance View for Reaper 5 months 2 weeks ago #17737

Thanks ivygrace. Time permitting, I will keep working on it. I hope S-Gear 3 implements some form of Snapshots/Scenes functionality. I've found it such a useful feature in what I've built so far, and much better use of my midi controller than to change single parameters.

@klinge:

The tuner can be activated by either the icon in the viewer app, or by the midi controller assigned to the tuner in the S-Gear midi settings. It is deactivated either by the midi controller or just closing the S-Gear window. If you were trying to deactivate by clicking the icon again, I can add that in the next version.

ReaLearn will have the Reaper bypass option for all plugins in the parameters drop down. I am using this for a VST that doesn't have its own inbuilt bypass. For this mapping I use the 'Character' type of Switch and the 'Type' of either Toggle or Absolute. Use Absolute if your controller is sending alternate 0 and 127 values.

The LiveConfigs extension for Reaper is great. I was going to post about it here but never got round to it. Being able to change all your plugin presets in each Config is fantastic. And with Realearn you can have different midi mappings with each Config if you want.
I was trying it with 2 instances of S-Gear on different tracks and having each Config to alternate between the different tracks. I was attempting to use the Preload feature to change the S-Gear preset on the second track prior to switching to it, but couldn't quite get it to work.

It may be a week or two before I can release the script with the Snapshots. It's coming along and I've also added the option to set the min and max controller values for each snapshot.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Performance View for Reaper 3 months 1 week ago #18118

hey will this work with an ipad to control sgear across the room?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Performance View for Reaper 3 months 1 week ago #18120

ivygrace wrote:
hey will this work with an ipad to control sgear across the room?

The script/app is built on Reaper, so will only run on a machine that can run Reaper.

I'd love to try it on something like a Surface Pro.

Otherwise you'd need some screen sharing app that can send your laptop/desktop display to your iPad. But one that also allowed 2 way communication so your touches are sent back to the desktop/laptop.

I haven't looked into the options that much. The Duet app seemed to work well but needed a cable (not wireless). And I've heard that the latest High Sierra update has killed these types of apps. But maybe a fix is coming.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds