TOPIC: Performance View for Reaper

Performance View for Reaper 1 week 6 days ago #18531

kierank wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it, and glad you're able to make use of the script.

I have fixed the preset name issue, and made progress on the changes to allow you to exclude certain plugins from showing on either the current preset, or globally for all presets.

I have also made changes to show the plugins AFTER S-Gear.

It might be a week until I have time to finish these. And I'm now starting to think about incorporating the plugins into the Snapshots feature (at the moment it's only storing the S-Gear settings in the Snapshots).
Those sound like great improvements, can't wait to see them.

Here is another thing I ran across today:

I loaded the VST3 version of S-Gear first to get the preset names into Reaper. Then I removed it and loaded the AU version of S-Gear so I can use the my Midi controller (it allows me to select a preset by the preset number using the PRESETS midi setting in S-Gear). However when I try to select a preset in Performance View. It briefly displays the name and then "snaps back" to the previous preset. Nothing changes in the S-Gear plug-in at all.

I made an animated Gif of this but I can't get it to upload on the forum for some reason.

Here is an MP4 video version I will leave up for a couple of days.

www.dropbox.com/s/w7x4r4sa849lr0i/PrefVi...etInAUSGear.mp4?dl=0
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Performance View for Reaper 1 week 6 days ago #18532

The AU plug-in relies on the S-Gear Controller plugin to send midi program changes to S-Gear (the VST3 uses another method). So all I can think of is that S-Gear isn't receiving the midi program change. Check the Midi Output Channel you have set in the Controller plugin and the one set in S-Gear's Config settings (e.g they should match or alternatively S-Gear's can be set to 'omni'.

Maybe also try bypassing ReaControlMidi to ensure that isn't somehow causing the issue.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
Last Edit: 1 week 6 days ago by kierank.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Performance View for Reaper 1 week 6 days ago #18534

I tried all those things, but the AU S-Gear would not change presets using Performance Viewer.

I was actually able to get the VST3 to work using your JS: S-Gear Controller. I did have to modify the script slightly to account for the fact that the Program Change values my Midi foot controller sends were off by 1. So I added an "offset" like this:
slider11:midi_pc_message=0<0,127,1>Midi PC Message
     // midi_pc_message allows the plugin to display the MIDI PC value being sent. This is used in conjunction with prgchng_offset below to select the preset number.
slider12:prgchng_offset=0<-3,3,1>Offset PC MIDI Value:  
     // prgchng_offset is used with direct program change at the end of the script    
     // If your MIDI PC message is off by a constant number from the preset you can use this parameter to correct it. 
     // Example1: If your MIDI PC message is one integer too low (0 when you want preset 1) then set this to 1.
     // Example2: If your MIDI PC message is one integer too high (127 when you want preset 126) then set this to -1.
         // TODO: I should probably add a check before using this variable to make sure msg23+prgchng_offset is not outside (0,127)

and then:
       // direct program change
        (rx_msg == PROGRAM_CHANGE) ? 
        (
        midi_pc_message = msg23;
        pnum = (msg23+prgchng_offset & 127);
        prgchng = pnum;
        ); 

Feel free to use, modify or ignore this for your official version.

Thanks again.
Last Edit: 1 week 5 days ago by politicalEconomist.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Performance View for Reaper 1 week 4 days ago #18536

Thanks for sharing your modified controller code. Does your midi controller send 1 to 128 vs 0 to 127?

For the AU plugin issue, it may be easier to troubleshoot to start a new blank project with just S-Gear and the 2 JS plugins.

Without even running the script, the 'S-Gear Controller' plugin should change the S-Gear presets if you use the 'Preset' slider. You should also see the midi receive light flashing at the top of S-Gear.

A few scenarios I noticed where I had issues changing presets:

- When the audio interface was disabled. I was testing things out in my script when I didn't have my 2i2 interface connected, and noticed this prevented the script from being able to change the presets.
- When the 'Midi Mapping Mode' in S-Gear's 'Config' settings is set to 'Bank'. It needs to be either 'None' or 'Preset'.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Performance View for Reaper 1 week 3 days ago #18540

This Controller is a very old ART X-15 Ultrafoot. It lets you select specific presets using 10 buttons and a Bank selector (Banks 0 to 19).
Example: To select what the Controller LED calls preset 15, you select Bank 1 and click Button 5.

The issue is that in the Program Change Midi numbers it sends 0 to 127. But the LED and the button numbers are one off from that Midi message number.

So without the offset, when I choose preset 1 by going to bank 0 and clicking button 1, the LED displays 1 but it sends a program change of 0. Without the offset I was getting #0 in S Gear.

Since it was off by 1 for all the presets I figured I could just edit the controller script with a +1 in the right spot. Then the scripting programmer in me (I use the language R almost everyday) wanted to see if I could generalize the code for other offsets. I included having the script report back the Program Control Midi Message and the Preset Number for testing purposes. But its nice to see exactly what the offset is doing.
kierank wrote:
Thanks for sharing your modified controller code. Does your midi controller send 1 to 128 vs 0 to 127?

For the AU plugin issue, it may be easier to troubleshoot to start a new blank project with just S-Gear and the 2 JS plugins.

Without even running the script, the 'S-Gear Controller' plugin should change the S-Gear presets if you use the 'Preset' slider. You should also see the midi receive light flashing at the top of S-Gear.

A few scenarios I noticed where I had issues changing presets:

- When the audio interface was disabled. I was testing things out in my script when I didn't have my 2i2 interface connected, and noticed this prevented the script from being able to change the presets.
- When the 'Midi Mapping Mode' in S-Gear's 'Config' settings is set to 'Bank'. It needs to be either 'None' or 'Preset'.
Last Edit: 1 week 3 days ago by politicalEconomist.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Performance View for Reaper 1 week 2 days ago #18541

I have a new version to try. The main changes:
  • The FX plugins after S-Gear are now displayed.
  • The FX plugins can have a custom background and font colour, via the UI (using the system colour/swatch tool).
  • Individual FX plugins can be hidden via the UI e.g. if they are 'always on' or ones you never need to see/edit via the script. This can be achieved either from the menu icon shown on the individual plugin box, or via the 'FX' option in the top menubar.
  • When the top menubar is active, each FX plugin and S-Gear rack device box will display a menu icon in the corner. The menu provides options to (1) open the plugin window, (2) display the quick edit controls (same thing as when you right-click the plugin box), (3) set your custom colours for the plugin, and (4) globally hide the plugin. This can be seen the screenshot below.
  • Added an option under 'View' in the top menubar to reduce the height of the FX plugin and rack device boxes (for anyone using a lot of plugins and wanting to reduce the overall window size). The smaller size is used in the screenshot below.

NOTE: the custom colours and the hidden plugins are saved to Reaper's project file, so you must save the project in order to save your changes.

There are also a few fixes for: presets that were deleted in S-Gear were still displaying their old names in the script UI, and also the preset selection window now displays presets up to 127 (previously it only displayed up to 99).

S-GearViewer0.92.png

File Attachment:

File Name: S-GearViewer0.92.zip
File Size: 1,047 KB
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
Last Edit: 1 week 2 days ago by kierank.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds