TOPIC: Desktop physical interface for S-Gear

Desktop physical interface for S-Gear 8 months 1 week ago #17855

Hi guys !

I was wondering last week if anyone has ever tried/thought about building a physical interface to control S-Gear. :?:

It make sense to me to have some kind of front pannel with knobs to control the amp as I'm still very addicted to physical controls :frustrated: :frustrated:

I see two options to realise this kind of stuff
1) Have just a midi interface with Arduino & some knobs to control standard settings (low, mid, high, gain, clean/dirt)
2) Have a all in one package running S-Gear. Is anyone have ever tried running S-Gear in a raspberry pi ? Would it be possible to compile a version for RPI ?

I've seen another crazy guy running S-Gear in a mini PC on facebook, I would love the same but in a smaller format :thumbs up:
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Desktop physical interface for S-Gear 8 months 6 days ago #17858

Look into getting something like this.

www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPD8?gcl...otKKTcxoCdygQAvD_BwE

It is fairly easy to setup by reading Mike's manual (the MIDI parts) and the standalone S-Gear application. If you try setting it up in your DAW you will have more of a learning curve.
  • rose703
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Desktop physical interface for S-Gear 8 months 5 days ago #17864

This guy has built a custom hardware interface for S-GEAR. I can't embed video - just took a screenshot for you - but you can check it out on Facebook.
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 months 5 days ago by swaite.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Desktop physical interface for S-Gear 8 months 4 days ago #17871

yes I remember that guy ;) it is a crazy project !!

I would love to do the same but in a smallest case with all-in-one computer/board :)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Desktop physical interface for S-Gear 8 months 4 days ago #17873

This could be crazy too, but lately I've been thinking about whether a foldback wedge enclosure would be a great way to hide away a small PC and even have a small screen that would be angled up towards you by the wedge angle.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Desktop physical interface for S-Gear 8 months 4 days ago #17874

Hello,

Not sure if this "fits"or not: New SAC Rig
The following user(s) said Thank You: kierank
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Desktop physical interface for S-Gear 8 months 4 days ago #17875

I posted this a while back in the forum. Hope it helps!

www.scuffhamamps.com/forum/6-general-dis...ontroller-for-s-gear

My set up is a bit better organised now but it's essentially the same bits of kit and was really easy to put together (if you can cut and glue plywood, solder, and write basic code for an Arduino-type device (actually a Teensy).

Briefly, it uses a Teensy to poll the footswitch and pedal states and sends the resulting MIDI messages over USB to my computer (a Mac mini in a rack in this case). I wanted a screen on the floor in front of me rather than having a visible laptop so I put a USB-driven screen into a plywood box, angled so I can see it. This could also be set up as a second screen if you do want to use a laptop.

I used Mainstage when I took these photos but have now very firmly switched to Gig Performer - so much easier to use and much more powerful IMO for stage configurations. The recent version has even added scripting which is truly amazing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kierank
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Desktop physical interface for S-Gear 8 months 4 days ago #17876

Thank you mr-es335 and qryss - both of those setups look amazing.

qryss - your floor monitor was very close to what I had in mind, but thinking of a larger enclosure to also include the computer and interface. And ideally a touch screen to avoid needing a mouse or keyboard. The duet app for ios looks like a great way to turn an old iPad into a touch enabled monitor for a mac mini or small pc. Purely all wishlist. So impressed you actually did it!
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Desktop physical interface for S-Gear 8 months 1 day ago #17883

Please let me know if there is any interest in having a dedicated category for S-GEAR rig projects. There has been a few really brilliant and inspiring projects posted and I think it would be good no to let the posts get lost inside a general category.

Cheers,
Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: ryentzer, theminion, swaite
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Desktop physical interface for S-Gear 8 months 1 day ago #17886

I think it is a good idea Mike! There are plenty of people around looking for alternatives to use S-Gear live safely without exposing laptops too much.
  • asintoras
  • Tone Master
My instrumental EP: doctor7.bandcamp.com/album/political-rollercoaster
My other EP with songs: doctor7.bandcamp.com/album/three-ways-of-telling-a-story
I am an artist endorsed by Kinman pickups.
Last edit: 8 months 1 day ago by asintoras.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Desktop physical interface for S-Gear 8 months 23 hours ago #17889

That would be great. I've tinkering with an old Mac Mini S-Gear rig recently and it looks very promising.
  • theminion
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Desktop physical interface for S-Gear 7 months 4 weeks ago #17896

Hi guys, I'm new in the forum. I finally tried S-Gear yesterday after reading awesome reviews for months and I have to say that I'm really impressed, none of the digital products I tried before has that feel S-Gear provides.

I don't like using my laptop for playing, I much prefer a simple pedalboard or head where I can adjust knobs and switch between presets. I only need 2 or 3 amps, delay and reverb so don't have complex needs and the idea of putting S-Gear in a friendly interface, immediately came to my mind and I've found this thread in the forum :)

I've found the crazy french guy that built the rack and the midi controller, that project looks awesome!!! Here's his FB page www.facebook.com/marcobricole/

I was wondering if there's any midi controller with both footswitches and knobs so I can assign the knobs to amp controls and footswitches to change preset, enable/disable effects and some other things. I've found some so in the end you only need a host that runs S-Gear, can be a mac mini or any barebone PC running windows and a MIDI controller
I'm wondering if windows embedded is enough to run S-Gear, that would be awesome.

Well I'll keep investigating, here are some links in case you're interested also on that topic
MIDI interfaces
www.sonomawireworks.com/guitarjackstage/
www.thomann.de/gb/akai_lpd_8_wireless_b_stock.htm
newatlas.com/amperage-pedal-midi/31146/
www.memecode.com/hw/mc1/

Best regards, Miles.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Desktop physical interface for S-Gear 7 months 4 weeks ago #17898

This one is very interesting : www.sonomawireworks.com/guitarjackstage/

I would prefer a desktop based but this kind of stuff can do the trick !

By the way Mike, is it conceivable to publish a linux or some kind of raspeberry pi package ?
Last edit: 7 months 4 weeks ago by t13nou.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Desktop physical interface for S-Gear 7 months 4 weeks ago #17899

t13nou wrote:

Mike, is it conceivable to publish a linux or some kind of raspeberry pi package ?
I'm not Mike, but I don't think the Raspberry meets the minimal requiremets for S-Gear to work, specially considering what those will be with the release of v. 3.0, rewritten from the ground up on the new technological Framework.

So the answer is: not likely to happen in the inmediate timeframe.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Desktop physical interface for S-Gear 7 months 3 weeks ago #17932

t13nou wrote:

By the way Mike, is it conceivable to publish a linux or some kind of raspeberry pi package ?

S-GEAR wouldn't run on a Raspberry pi, at least not based on my understanding of the typical Raspberry board.

Linux is an interesting one, obviously there is a wide choice of hardware available that can run Linux and certainly some powerful options. With Linux it is still difficult to see a (commercial) development justification when there are so many other exciting projects lined-up... Embedded DSP, iOS, S-GEAR3 and beyond...
The following user(s) said Thank You: theminion
  • mike
  • Administrator
Last edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by mike.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Desktop physical interface for S-Gear 7 months 2 weeks ago #17958

Hi !

Wow I didn’t know I was starting to become known in the SGear community. I appreciate :).

Mike told me to subscribe to the forum so I can get people interested in the type of project I built. So don’t hesitate if you have any question with my build.

I can provide the partlist and also the Teensy source code.

Marco Bricole
  • Marcobricole
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Desktop physical interface for S-Gear 7 months 1 week ago #17961

Marcobricole wrote:

Hi !

Wow I didn’t know I was starting to become known in the SGear community. I appreciate :).

Mike told me to subscribe to the forum so I can get people interested in the type of project I built. So don’t hesitate if you have any question with my build.

I can provide the partlist and also the Teensy source code.

Marco Bricole

Good to see you here Marco! :)
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Desktop physical interface for S-Gear 5 months 1 week ago #18268

mike wrote:

t13nou wrote:

S-GEAR wouldn't run on a Raspberry pi, at least not based on my understanding of the typical Raspberry board.

Linux is an interesting one, obviously there is a wide choice of hardware available that can run Linux and certainly some powerful options. With Linux it is still difficult to see a (commercial) development justification when there are so many other exciting projects lined-up... Embedded DSP, iOS, S-GEAR3 and beyond...

Wait, what? An iOS version? Please make it so, Mike. S-Gear is far and away a much better modeler than the “other guys” and I would love it on my iPad or iPhone.

What’s “embedded DSP”?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds